Your design/parts/tricks to make a stereo sound more romantic?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I like a good neutral presentation too, but in case that isn't assured I would effect a rolloff above 1kHz, because we are attuned to get uptight with any excess levels around 3kHz and balance around that. This is an instinct connected with ensuring that the wellbeing of babies gets our attention. It can kill romance.

I like a good neutral presentation too, but in case that isn't assured I would effect a rolloff above 1kHz, because we are attuned to get uptight with any excess levels around 3kHz and balance around that. This is an instinct connected with ensuring that the wellbeing of babies gets our attention. It can kill romance.

I have heard stereos that have speakers cut in that range, but they still weren’t a presentation you may think different from most. And speakers that roll off early say 12khz don’t change much of what you hear either. But I suppose any spikes in the 1-3khz range might destroy any ability to enjoy a system meant to be tuned a way from being appreciated.

"This is an instinct connected with ensuring that the wellbeing of babies gets our attention"

Any more perceptual instincts I should know about? (All Enya has to do is go "da" "da" and I want to...just from the sound of her voice...for some reason)

I've heard it said phase linearity in the 800 to 8kHz range is very "attention grabbing". Last thing you want in a romantic situation is your partners attention to be split between you and your stereo. So scramble the phase by putting in a cheap graphic EQ - or design a circuit to do this - multiple pass bands in the 800 to 8kHz range, invert phase of every other one.

You dont want the stereo to sound too good!

Last edited:
Romantic is the tale-telling part of which you are contributing along with another soul, finding the path towards 'coinciding of opposites' (coined by Joseph Campbell).
Whatever the means, Prelude a l'après midi d'un faune (Debussy), or, Pavane pour un infante defunte (Ravel) will suffice in classical settings,
When WUOL-FM is playing that kind of romantic music, flat response is fine.
When they follow up a concerto by some dip**** "almost as good as Mozart" by London Mozart players, with a string quartet or some garbage by Telemann or Bocarini, I can turn on the reverb box and mix some in. Digitek Studio V2 Quad "Nice Room" at about 20% level mix seems to make the borscht go down easier. If I feel better (not last week, had a cold, no initiative) I play a record or CD.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Sylania/GTE produced a higher-end tube console stereo back in 1964.
I must admit, they made some pretty good stuff back then.
This console had a "Level Control" which was a 3 position control and part of a the "loudness" compensation for a 2 tapped loudness control.
This Level Control changed what would be called "mood settings", giving the console anything from "in your face" brash orchestra, to deep, smooth, subtle, syrupy lushness for background music.
I was just looking over the schematic for this, and it's quite complex compared to the usual "contour" system of tapped volume controls.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.