Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Down the rabbit hole I go then....
Down the rabbit hole I go then.... Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th December 2019, 05:27 AM   #1
Jazzguy is offline Jazzguy  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default Down the rabbit hole I go then....

Where to start. So many questions.
Okay, here’s one. Its a chicken and egg sorta question.
I want to start building my own quality audio system. I have decided I have to go with proven designs, as I cannot even think about learning how to do this all from a “designers” point of view. Too big a learning curve, and too much involved in it. Also, judging by what I read on here, I could get hooked, and go nuts like the rest of you!

My first conundrum is, what do I build first, the amplification system, or, the speakers?

I could get by for a while I suppose, with my current setup amp (please don't laugh), which is a 1980’s Kenwood integrated amp, but, has a real nice sound. I have it coupled to some 1980’s Missions, which now have cracked/crazed cones. I also have a large pair of floorstanding speakers which I bought to repair, following a wild hen night, where the previous owners wife fried one of the drivers… long story.

I rather liked the looks and reviews of the “Parts Express” Solstice kit. The main drawback however, is that it would cost a fortune to send the whole kit to NZ. I could buy just the components, but then this costs FAR more than getting the whole kit?!… Also, I have a MDF factory about five miles up the road, and the stuff is quite cheap locally.

Anyway, any advice would be welcome at this point. Even a hookup with anyone local to me (not the Tinder sort of hookup…) might be good. When looking at such forums as this, or the many others I frequent, I’m always a bit disheartened by the fact that “stuff” isn't easily available here in NZ, like it is in the US. So many times Ive had to call off a project because of unavailability, or just the ridiculous cost of freight/import tax etc etc….

Okay, well, here’s looking forward to any replies.
Cheers.
Old 26th December 2019, 08:41 AM   #2
oxoxbyx is offline oxoxbyx
diyAudio Member

oh mate sorry hear that

i have some problem here, in my country there not many quality part and i have to order from capital which is not cheap in shipping though

first start you could start from build quality amp and dac.

i recommended with class D amp from china with some little mod and good power supply you will be surprise with how it sound.
Old 26th December 2019, 09:35 AM   #3
wintermute is online now wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

From an electronics standpoint, element14 and RS should be as good as any for NZ. Speaker wise I don't know.

I'm lucky in that we have a great speaker importer here in Sydney so I don't have to worry about shipping. Not sure how shipping would be from Aus to NZ, I know I got a quaif diff from NZ and was surprised at how reasonable the shipping was!

Where to start, that is a difficult question. It sounds as though your speakers are where you are hurting at the moment, though logistically they are probably your biggest hurdle. Depending on what speakers you end up with, it may affect amp choice as well (efficiency and ease of driving)....

On the other hand getting together the things for an amp or other electronics project are probably easier (from a logistics and shipping costs pov).

Tony.

Last edited by wintermute; 26th December 2019 at 09:37 AM. Reason: add links.
Old 26th December 2019, 09:36 AM   #4
MarcelvdG is offline MarcelvdG  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Considering that you have an amplifier that works well and damaged loudspeakers, it seems like the logical thing to do is to fix or replace the loudspeakers.
Old 26th December 2019, 11:02 AM   #5
Jazzguy is offline Jazzguy  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies. I think I will go with speakers first. I'll wait till after the Xmas period, and see what gives. I'm now thinking that if I go for a full range option driver, the freight shouldnt kill it. Saw a Voigt design on YT could fit the bill. I have a large room to fill, so need to take that into account also.
Thanks .
Old 26th December 2019, 05:52 PM   #6
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

If you have some old speakers you liked but are now cracked and worn, consider having those speakers reconed.
Old 26th December 2019, 07:51 PM   #7
ferret is offline ferret  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Hi Jazzguy,

Personally I would start with, 1.) What music do you listen to, as this will determine what type of speakers would be best to build; 2.) How large is your lounge/listening room as this will also determine the size and efficiency of the speaker you will require, which in turn leads to 3.) the amp you will need to drive the speakers. Budget of course is the question that controls everything.

Also take a quick look at Jaycar - they have a special on some speaker cabinets, that are designed for Vifa drivers. Might be worthwhile. Speaker Cabinet for JV60 Speaker Kit | Jaycar Electronics New Zealand
All the best, went there 40 years ago, and have had some regrets, but not many.
Old 26th December 2019, 08:47 PM   #8
ferret is offline ferret  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Hi Jazzguy, also take a look at Audioshop - audio parts and equipment store
Old 26th December 2019, 08:58 PM   #9
Douglas Blake is online now Douglas Blake  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzguy View Post
Also, judging by what I read on here, I could get hooked, and go nuts like the rest of you!
Hey... I resemble that remark!

I'd start with speakers. I'm sure there are places in or near NZ where you can get decent kits (if that's your bent) or you might want to consider restoring your Missions... They were A#1 in their day.

Don't worry too much about the amp... Kenwood was and still is a good product. In fact, some of the "legacy" stuff is better than we get today.
Old 26th December 2019, 10:15 PM   #10
FauxFrench is offline FauxFrench  France
diyAudio Member

I would start with the speakers and then work my way backwards. My argument would be that development in speakers is the slowest such that they also become outdated the slowest.
The fastest development I believe is in the source of music such that when you finally get to that element of the audio chain, you get the newest technology at the best price.

Down the rabbit hole I go then....Hide this!Advertise here!