Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Better sound using stuff you have around the house already
Better sound using stuff you have around the house already
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2019, 08:23 AM   #1
jjasniew is offline jjasniew  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Better sound using stuff you have around the house already

So my wife and kid decide to play badminton in the living room, using the sofa to hold a net. Having an ordinary 2.1 setup, I have the TV screen panel centered between stereo speakers, which are pulled out ~4' from the back wall, while the screen is against it. We threw a comforter over the panel - and I put the speaker grilles back on. Game over, so I turn on the stereo. I swear the comforter over the screen makes a deeper and more focused sound-stage.

I mean, enough to consider making a suspended curtain out of this stuff that would be a little nicer to the TV coming on and off. It seems the comforter padding is absorbing sound and producing an audible effect. If possible, try hanging a thick, puffy blanket between your speakers somehow - if you happen to have an extra blanket around. The heck with the fireplace!

Anyone with another home remedy that worked and was perceptible? Thanks!

Last edited by jjasniew; 7th November 2019 at 08:27 AM.
Old 7th November 2019, 09:10 PM   #2
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

A large but not full-wall *hard* *flat* surface is a very unnatural thing in a sound field.

If you have a speaker baffle in an anechoic chamber you hear it just walking in.

Yeah, pad it.
Old 7th November 2019, 10:23 PM   #3
rayma is online now rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

A thick wool rug works well as an acoustical treatment on the wall behind the speakers.
Attach the rug on a wood frame, and hang it like a picture.

Last edited by rayma; 7th November 2019 at 10:50 PM.

Better sound using stuff you have around the house alreadyHide this!Advertise here!