Can you hear a difference between 2 solid state preamps?

Can you hear a difference between the two test files

• I can hear a difference, but have no ABX result

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • I cannot hear a difference and have no ABX result

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • I can hear a difference and have an ABX result

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I cannot hear a difference and have an ABX result

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
<snip>

Right now that is time I don't have. My critical listening time is a couple of hours a month at the moment. Come the spring that should change, but such is the self-inflicted burden of a second brood.

I understand that, as I know that a lot of things are much more important than audio reproduction issues.
Just in case, it wasn't meant as critique just to point out that it is more about categorization and writing down what we hear when listening to reproduced soundfields. (even when listening to real soundfields)

<snip> I am no closer to a common lexicon but at least now I can be sure I focus on different things. Wrong or not, they are my preferences and I make no claims for if anyone else would enjoy my system.

That's the crucial point and one of the reasons why I so often emphasized the intersubject differences when it comes to the evaluation of music reproduction. :)

That’s not an explanation, that’s an opinion, and it should be taken as such.

You asked for an explanation and you got one; seems that you don't like it, but is that Mark4's problem?

comment shows again that you are not looking for any technical progress, but only attempting to create a group of cult followers. Likely for commercial purposes, by yourself and your (self admitted) business partner Jam. There’s nothing new in attempting to promote, under DIY pretences, a fake “secret sauce” in audio, in a desperate attempt to differentiate from the pack.

And now you're stating _your_ _opinion_ as fact, while constantly blaming others for not explicitely marking their opinions as such.

I think, more people are able to get that a member writing about his listening impressions is doing it based on a subjective basis, while it could be that something like your paragraph above will be taken more often as an objective factual description which it is not.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I understand that, as I know that a lot of things are much more important than audio reproduction issues.
Just in case, it wasn't meant as critique just to point out that it is more about categorization and writing down what we hear when listening to reproduced soundfields. (even when listening to real soundfields)
I didn't take it as one. I was just being brutally honest about my current position.

That's the crucial point and one of the reasons why I so often emphasized the intersubject differences when it comes to the evaluation of music reproduction. :)
Crucial and I fear impossible to move forwards on meaning we are doomed to go around in circles.

This comment shows again that you are not looking for any technical progress, but only attempting to create a group of cult followers. Likely for commercial purposes, by yourself and your (self admitted) business partner Jam.
Ah, that explains. :bulb:

The explanation is simple: I listened to the dac with the 7805 and with an LT1963. Also, in the past I listened to ADM7150 verses an opamp buffer voltage regulator (with a different dac).
But you won't disclose how your listening "test" was set up.
From my perspective, I don't owe you my time spent on research to prove I am justified in saying one things sounds better than another thing.
Right, it's your freedom. At the same time, it's their freedom when others challenge your extraordinary claims without extraordinary evidence.

I think, more people are able to get that a member writing about his listening impressions is doing it based on a subjective basis, while it could be that something like your paragraph above will be taken more often as an objective factual description which it is not.
Then why is it that the one who posted his listening impressions keeps the listening "test" set up details a secret?

@billshurv,
<snip>
Crucial and I fear impossible to move forwards on meaning we are doomed to go around in circles.

Could be, but usually trying to understand the different viewpoints (or different approaches) helps and maybe, using for example as a starter the sound samples from the EBU, it will be easier to get what others are talking about?!

@Evenharmonics,
<snip>
Then why is it that the one who posted his listening impressions keeps the listening "test" set up details a secret?

Using "then" in this context implies that there is a connection, but it ain't necessarilly so. And any "proof" that hiding takes place is missing too. ;)

But anyway, again you could lead by good example. I'd very interesting to learn in detail about the level matched, bias controlled, double blind listening tests that you've done.

Using "then" in this context implies that there is a connection, but it ain't necessarilly so. And any "proof" that hiding takes place is missing too. ;)
In your opinion of course.

But anyway, again you could lead by good example. I'd very interesting to learn in detail about the level matched, bias controlled, double blind listening tests that you've done.
What audibility claim did I post?
Not holding my breath.

I see...
Evenharmonics and syn08 use double standard to attack people :D :D :D
I attacked? :scratch2: In that case, indra1 just attacked me with post #396 which you left out. A glaring example of bias.
Just a detailled description of your listening tests protocol will do; it is sufficient if you include the hypothesis(es) that you wanted to test....
If you are referring to the comparison in the "attack" post by indra1, the subjective version is just that, no level matching, no visual bias controlled, no memory span compensation and no room mode accounted for. The level matched version was done by volt meter at the speaker terminal when amps were switched.

As for Markw4's secret listening test method, will you be asking the same?

... based on many pre and amps compared in level matched double blind test. Those that do sound different are the result of poor design or unusually high distortion which often is the result of poor design. ...
Pavel can perceive the difference on the 3 very low distortion preamps, however I do not find any of them to be poorly designed.

It actually is good for you if you can not hear a difference, no incentive to spend on more expensive parts like the AD797. Better yet when you find a cheaper parts like the TL072 to sound the same. Too bad for those who do hear. :D

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.