Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Can you hear a difference between 2 solid state preamps?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Can you hear a difference between the two test files
I can hear a difference, but have no ABX result 12 50.00%
I cannot hear a difference and have no ABX result 6 25.00%
I can hear a difference and have an ABX result 4 16.67%
I cannot hear a difference and have an ABX result 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th December 2019, 03:38 PM   #381
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Obviously saying a piece of equipment sounds better is purely subjective, and couldn't it also sound subjectively worse depending on the source? That is another thing that seems to have been displayed in this thread.
Old 4th December 2019, 03:50 PM   #382
Jakob2 is offline Jakob2  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
<snip>

Right now that is time I don't have. My critical listening time is a couple of hours a month at the moment. Come the spring that should change, but such is the self-inflicted burden of a second brood.
I understand that, as I know that a lot of things are much more important than audio reproduction issues.
Just in case, it wasn't meant as critique just to point out that it is more about categorization and writing down what we hear when listening to reproduced soundfields. (even when listening to real soundfields)

Quote:
<snip> I am no closer to a common lexicon but at least now I can be sure I focus on different things. Wrong or not, they are my preferences and I make no claims for if anyone else would enjoy my system.
That's the crucial point and one of the reasons why I so often emphasized the intersubject differences when it comes to the evaluation of music reproduction.
Old 4th December 2019, 03:55 PM   #383
Jakob2 is offline Jakob2  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn08 View Post
That’s not an explanation, that’s an opinion, and it should be taken as such.
You asked for an explanation and you got one; seems that you don't like it, but is that Mark4's problem?

Quote:
comment shows again that you are not looking for any technical progress, but only attempting to create a group of cult followers. Likely for commercial purposes, by yourself and your (self admitted) business partner Jam. There’s nothing new in attempting to promote, under DIY pretences, a fake “secret sauce” in audio, in a desperate attempt to differentiate from the pack.
And now you're stating _your_ _opinion_ as fact, while constantly blaming others for not explicitely marking their opinions as such.

I think, more people are able to get that a member writing about his listening impressions is doing it based on a subjective basis, while it could be that something like your paragraph above will be taken more often as an objective factual description which it is not.
Old 4th December 2019, 04:06 PM   #384
Markw4 is online now Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

If anyone else sees a problem with syn08's rule breaking, I would encourage bringing it to the attention of the moderators. Unless people speak up the rule breaking and attacks on the character of other members will continue.
Old 4th December 2019, 05:03 PM   #385
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

The Moderators do not like returning to the same thread for the same reasons. Potential action is being discussed.
Old 4th December 2019, 05:12 PM   #386
billshurv is online now billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob2 View Post
I understand that, as I know that a lot of things are much more important than audio reproduction issues.
Just in case, it wasn't meant as critique just to point out that it is more about categorization and writing down what we hear when listening to reproduced soundfields. (even when listening to real soundfields)
I didn't take it as one. I was just being brutally honest about my current position.

Quote:
That's the crucial point and one of the reasons why I so often emphasized the intersubject differences when it comes to the evaluation of music reproduction.
Crucial and I fear impossible to move forwards on meaning we are doomed to go around in circles.
Old 4th December 2019, 06:19 PM   #387
Evenharmonics is offline Evenharmonics  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn08 View Post
This comment shows again that you are not looking for any technical progress, but only attempting to create a group of cult followers. Likely for commercial purposes, by yourself and your (self admitted) business partner Jam.
Ah, that explains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
The explanation is simple: I listened to the dac with the 7805 and with an LT1963. Also, in the past I listened to ADM7150 verses an opamp buffer voltage regulator (with a different dac).
But you won't disclose how your listening "test" was set up.
Quote:
From my perspective, I don't owe you my time spent on research to prove I am justified in saying one things sounds better than another thing.
Right, it's your freedom. At the same time, it's their freedom when others challenge your extraordinary claims without extraordinary evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob2 View Post
I think, more people are able to get that a member writing about his listening impressions is doing it based on a subjective basis, while it could be that something like your paragraph above will be taken more often as an objective factual description which it is not.
Then why is it that the one who posted his listening impressions keeps the listening "test" set up details a secret?
Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM   #388
Markw4 is online now Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

I am not involved in any business with Jam or anyone else. Never said otherwise.

Someone may have assumed that. I can't help if other people jump to wrong conclusions.
Old Yesterday, 09:50 PM   #389
Evenharmonics is offline Evenharmonics  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
I am not involved in any business with Jam or anyone else. Never said otherwise.
Are you planning on starting a DAC business?

Can you hear a difference between 2 solid state preamps?Hide this!Advertise here!