Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Can you hear a difference between 2 solid state preamps?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Can you hear a difference between the two test files
I can hear a difference, but have no ABX result 12 50.00%
I cannot hear a difference and have no ABX result 6 25.00%
I can hear a difference and have an ABX result 4 16.67%
I cannot hear a difference and have an ABX result 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM   #291
indra1 is offline indra1  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
I was doing tests with mono on my poor visitors intentionally and regularly, ...
That suddenly reminds me of the late Sakuma-san.
Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM   #292
mmerrill99 is offline mmerrill99
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
You only do not try and you are creating faked reality -

11/16 is not so bad

I think no one else posted his result in this thread, you not excluded.
OK, apologies
It was this post I seemed to remember
Quote:
In a sighted test, I have a feeling that I can quite clearly tell the difference in sound of both preamps. When doing ABX test, I get permanently results between 3/8 and 5/8, so just random results. I will try harder .
In your linked post to ABX results you don't show 11/16 - it's incorrect to combine the results of two separate runs of tests like this. I believe 20 ABX trials is consider minimum in one straight run for statistical significance - maybe you could not achieve a 'good' run of 20 trials given this requirement for "my best concentration on sound:" as you stated? For a confidence level of 95% with a confidence interval of 10 you would need to get 14 out of 16 correct - for a 99% confidence level 15 out of 16. With 20 trials 95% is 17 out of 20 & 99% is 18 out of 20

Do you think others would be able to achieve 95% or 99% confidence level in Foobar ABX?

I'm just asking this question in relation to Markw4 post reporting this comment he came across "Unless this is early 90's, one properly functioning DAC sounding better than another properly functioning DAC has been debunked by level matched double blind listening tests."

Do you still clearly hear a clarity to one preamp that is obvious? If so why isn't a success rate of 99% in ABX tests anticipated?

Last edited by mmerrill99; Yesterday at 08:50 PM.
Old Today, 10:24 AM   #293
Max Headroom is offline Max Headroom  Australia
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, near to the beach, natural ambient sounds mostly.
Pavel, I have in the last few days totally altered my power feed/power filtering arrangements including screened isolation transformer power feed to the laptop music source and this has quite 'transformed' this system and taken it to a whole new level.
I will take another listen to your files in the next few days and let you know what I find.
Old Today, 11:50 AM   #294
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Thank you Dan, sounds interesting!
Old Today, 03:20 PM   #295
Max Headroom is offline Max Headroom  Australia
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, near to the beach, natural ambient sounds mostly.
I'm having to learn/understand a whole new system sound, bigger, brighter, clearer, louder and more powerful sounding than what I had which was already darn good by any standards.
This is repeat of an old experiment and done better, I should have built this new power box ages ago, I will try to find time to listen tomorrow.

Can you hear a difference between 2 solid state preamps?Hide this!Advertise here!