Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Can you hear a difference between 2 solid state preamps?
Can you hear a difference between 2 solid state preamps?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Can you hear a difference between the two test files
I can hear a difference, but have no ABX result 12 50.00%
I cannot hear a difference and have no ABX result 6 25.00%
I can hear a difference and have an ABX result 4 16.67%
I cannot hear a difference and have an ABX result 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2019, 02:25 PM   #281
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob2 View Post
...the argument was about the delusion of reviewers/writers and readers to believe in audible differences that were not based on soundfield differences.
People clearly have no problem believing in audible differences when they hear the sonic details for themselves. Disbelief is reserved for when other people report hearing the exact same type of things. That's when all the arguments about why it must be impossible start coming out.

Oh, well. Nobody is claiming that humans are not hypocrites.

Last edited by Markw4; 19th November 2019 at 02:30 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2019, 02:27 PM   #282
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
billshurv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Can you hear a difference between 2 solid state preamps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob2 View Post
Therefore it seemed to be kind of paradigma change, similar to the recent discussion in the blowtorch thread about (allegedly) existing audible differences when comparing old and new opamps in (nonpathologic behaving) circuits.

Can't speak for others, but in my case it was an interesting experiment that needs more (personal) investigation. I think it has indicated that I listen for different things than others so possibly would benefit from some training in that area, which opens up a larger can of fresh worms.


But the fact we have files for listening and measurements is a refreshing change from someone glomming something in then claiming veils are lifted and windows onto the sound cleaned.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2019, 02:50 PM   #283
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member
 
scottjoplin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Penrhyndeudraeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
Disbelief is reserved for when other people report hearing the exact same type of things.
Little evidence of that in this thread. I see few parallels between a published review and a discussion on a DIY forum.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2019, 03:23 PM   #284
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Little evidence of that in this thread.
Agreed, not this thread. Maybe Blowtorch...

Quote:
I see few parallels between a published review and a discussion on a DIY forum.
Doesn't have to be published, could be a listening results claimed another member. Its happened to me and to other members. Someone describes hearing something just like people are doing in this thread, and other people argue it isn't possible.

For example, just the other day someone claimed in a dac thread: "Unless this is early 90's, one properly functioning DAC sounding better than another properly functioning DAC has been debunked by level matched double blind listening tests."

Would anyone here agree with the above argument?
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2019, 03:34 PM   #285
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
billshurv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Can you hear a difference between 2 solid state preamps?
I would tend to concur that, for that same digital filter I would be very suprised if two DACs of high performance could be told apart. But I am aware I am not with the crowd on this one
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2019, 03:38 PM   #286
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: California
Bill,
Don't know if you ever made it out to California. If so, you missed an opportunity to be surprised. I can show that two channels of a 4-channel dac can be made to sound different from the other two channels by small changes in power supply configuration. Filters are the same for all four channels.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2019, 03:45 PM   #287
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
billshurv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Can you hear a difference between 2 solid state preamps?
Current plan is March 2020, but plans change.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2019, 04:04 PM   #288
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member
 
scottjoplin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Penrhyndeudraeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
Doesn't have to be published, could be a listening results claimed another member. Its happened to me and to other members. Someone describes hearing something just like people are doing in this thread, and other people argue it isn't possible.
Where files posted to listen too?
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2019, 04:30 PM   #289
mmerrill99 is offline mmerrill99
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
.....
For example, just the other day someone claimed in a dac thread: "Unless this is early 90's, one properly functioning DAC sounding better than another properly functioning DAC has been debunked by level matched double blind listening tests."

Would anyone here agree with the above argument?
I thought it was this thread but can't find it now - maybe deleted? but I do remember PMA stating that he did Foobar ABX listening test & posting the results - AFAIR his results did not show that he could reliably differentiate between these two preamps even though he stated before these ABX tests that he clearly hears a distinct & obvious clarity in one preamp.

Do the ABX results debunk his sighted listening? I know an open mind would have to consider the possibility that the clarity he was hearing was a delusion just as one has to also consider the possibility that Foobar ABX suppresses his ability to discern audible differences

Last edited by mmerrill99; 19th November 2019 at 04:38 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2019, 07:44 PM   #290
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
PMA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Prague
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerrill99 View Post
I thought it was this thread but can't find it now - maybe deleted? but I do remember PMA stating that he did Foobar ABX listening test & posting the results - AFAIR his results did not show that he could reliably differentiate between these two preamps even though he stated before these ABX tests that he clearly hears a distinct & obvious clarity in one preamp.

Do the ABX results debunk his sighted listening? I know an open mind would have to consider the possibility that the clarity he was hearing was a delusion just as one has to also consider the possibility that Foobar ABX suppresses his ability to discern audible differences
You only do not try and you are creating faked reality -

Can you hear a difference between 2 solid state preamps?
11/16 is not so bad

I think no one else posted his result in this thread, you not excluded.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Can you hear a difference between 2 solid state preamps?Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Germanium in the World of solid state (preamps) Bojan Hajdinjak Solid State 115 11th May 2015 06:05 PM
Preamps for the great solid state power amps audiostar Solid State 2 4th September 2012 07:41 PM
The Solid State Wiki - Your solid state reference guide Jason Solid State 0 25th June 2002 06:26 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:53 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 13.64%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2020 diyAudio
Wiki