Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Can you hear a difference between 2 solid state preamps?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Can you hear a difference between the two test files
I can hear a difference, but have no ABX result 12 50.00%
I cannot hear a difference and have no ABX result 6 25.00%
I can hear a difference and have an ABX result 4 16.67%
I cannot hear a difference and have an ABX result 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th November 2019, 05:12 PM   #271
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'll have to check back on the CD rack but a few to look at
Hyperion Records - independent British classical music record label - CDs, MP3 and Lossless downloads
Chandos Records Classical Music CDs and MP3 Downloads OnLine
Dacapo Records – the Danish national label for classical and new music
https://www.channelclassics.com/
Erased Tapes

Some of these are a little eclectic in their output.

I've also always found great quality in ECM recordings although they are known for slightly overblowing the accoustic.
Old 13th November 2019, 05:14 PM   #272
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Thank you Bill, I will definitely check it.
Old 13th November 2019, 07:19 PM   #273
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

I think the only ECM recording I have is Dave Holland Quintet Prime Directive, tis a good recording but that goodness for tone controls
Old 14th November 2019, 11:51 AM   #274
DNi is offline DNi  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

For classical music, I would recommend having a look at the small German label MDG:
MDG-Musikproduktion Dabringhaus und Grimm
The website is spartan, their recordings too - in the sense that they claim not to be using any compression, equalization, etc. in the production.

The usual disclaimer: I'm not connected with the label in any way; I just like their recordings very much.

Regards,
Braca
Old 14th November 2019, 01:41 PM   #275
senordilys3542 is offline senordilys3542  United States
diyAudio Member

Due to the press of other things, I just now have had the opportunity to listen a second time to the Claire samples. I hope any thoughts I have to share at this time will be of use.

Similar to Bill, I went into my second hearings knowing what the differences were. As I did on my initial listening, I could hear differences between Claire1 as compared to 2 and 3 which I could not tell apart. My experience is similar to Bill's: "1 does sound different."

Initially listening to the two WS samples, I felt WS2 is better. On listening and relistening to the Claire samples, I definitely preferred 2 and 3 over 1.

Also I support DNi's recommendation on MDG recordings for recording quality, I have several of MDG's recordings of chamber, piano, and orchestral music and often go back to them with pleasure.
Old 14th November 2019, 06:06 PM   #276
Tournesol is offline Tournesol  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senordilys3542 View Post
I could hear differences between Claire1 as compared to 2 and 3 which I could not tell apart.
Conclusion: 2 & 3 are the transparent ones ?
Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM   #277
Jakob2 is offline Jakob2  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
<snip>

Changing the subject for a moment, I have some trouble seeing the point of these listening comparison threads. Guess they might sway a few skeptics to accept that we may be able to hear some things that didn't seem possible before. Other than that, is anything useful coming out of it or is it just something to do solely for entertainment?
It seems to be an attempt to try a more qualitative approach instead of the usual quantitative test method.
As matching/synchronizaion of the vocabulary is missing, the results (or meaning of the descriptions) are a bit vague, but are interesting nevertheless.

I think one of the interesting questions is, if one can dismiss any kind of published sighted reviewing process while appreciating the same kind of process in a forum.
Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM   #278
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob2 View Post
I think one of the interesting questions is, if one can dismiss any kind of published sighted reviewing process while appreciating the same kind of process in a forum.
Does publishing involve the exchange of money?

Can you hear a difference between 2 solid state preamps?Hide this!Advertise here!