Being harrassed by disturbing audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any advice that can be helpful would be appreciated. I am dealing with a disturbed neighbor who is playing a disturbing recording of he and his female companion engaging in intimacy. I am not certain what device he is using to play this device on but it has the ability to play inside or outside. The female companion has this disturbing screams and it includes obscenities, and the neighbors name being screamed out. I have alerted the police to this matter and was informed of two things if I can hear it I can record it and to keep my cameras/ audio operating at all times.I have purchased a digital recorder and have obtained several recordings. The problem is that there is noise from the mic static, wind from outside, traffic, sirens. I have used audacity but it also removes the inappropriate screaming that I am utilizing as evidence. I appreciate any assistance that can be provided regarding how I can capture enhance the inappropriate screaming but remove the other sounds.

Enzo,
It is in a constant loop. I know this for a fact after I phoned the police after an incident regarding the noise, when I went in the back of my house to my shed and happened to look up facing the houses because we are neighbors we keep our curtains open, anyway, they were looking at me and I was looking at them while they were fully clothed in their kitchen with their guests so I am certain that the screaming is not live and per the words of the officer if I can hear it as it is disturbing the quietness in my own domain I can record it. I unfortunately have acute hearing, so I hear way more than I actually wish to from this neighbor. Do you have more useful advise on how I can enhance the scream on my digital device, please?

Thank you. I did attempt this on the 6th call but the disturbed neighbor who is renting the home next door turned the looping recording off. On another call to the police regarding marijuana smoking that was making my mother and I sick the officer knock on the door of the tenant and the recording was playing but the officer disregarded the recording and only focused on the dense smell of marijuana lingering in my home from the disturbed neighbor's/tenant's rental. The tenant stated that it was a Hoka.

Tried this they make it seem as I am the problem. I am the respectable neighbor the disturbed neighbor/tenant has already been arrested in January for a disturbance with the woman who he was initially renting the property with, and then he meets this female who has a lack of respect for herself or those on the left or right of the tenant. I am seeking all other ways of removing the tenant from that residence.

I have alerted the police to this matter and was informed of two thingsif I can hear it I can record it and to keep my cameras/ audio operating at all times.I have purchased a digital recorder and have obtained several recordings. The problem is that there is noise from the mic static, wind from outside, traffic, sirens. I have used audacity but it also removes the inappropriate screaming that I am utilizing as evidence. I appreciate any assistance that can be provided regarding how I can capture enhance the inappropriate screaming but remove the other sounds.
Well, yes and no.
Your ears and a microphone in the same place will pick exactly the same, with a BIG difference.

You are picking it with two ears separated by a solid head , they are some 8/10 inches away and your ears are miniature parabolic reflctors.
Couple that to HEAVY brain processing and you will distinctly pick what no "Technical Equipment" can.

Your Brain picks and processes phase difference clues, different times of arrival, uses directionality plus smart "software" tricks to separate useful data from interference and chatter; a single microphone does not.

So you must make it easier for them.

First is to get *two* microphones (may even be cheap Electret capsules), solder them to long cables and place them as close to neighbour´s house as possible, also separated a couple meters to improve Stereo separation, and record *that*, in Stereo.
You can later process and improve it.

Listened at with headphones will show WAY better intelligibility because so you hugely improve signal to noise ratio, signal being neighbour´s annoying Audio and noise being anything else.

Just be discrete about it and remove everything after getting your "star witness" or *their* Lawyer will accuse you of trespassing or eavesdropping.

Which will be technically true, of course, sadly the Judge will not understand about sound masked by noise, binaural Audio, brain processing, etc. so do not even raise that point.

Plan B: Courts place disproportionate importance on Human sources, a.k.a. "witnesses".
Maybe you can enroll a couple neighbours which are as annoyed as you to backup and certify your claims.

That might give your complaint weight and credibility enough so Police takes things seriously

Last edited:
A big 2” exit narrow pattern horn makes a really nice directional microphone. Even with a cheap full range speaker or radio shack microphone at the throat instead of an expensive driver. I used this trick for recording from as much as 1/4 mile away, effectively ignoring sounds off to the side. Hold one up to your ear and hear it for yourself.

Why would they play this noise? it takes time and effort, perhaps it’s only worth their trouble if they get a response and perhaps you’re playing into their hands? if it’s possible to ignore it for long enough maybe they’ll just give up, I’m sure you have better things to do than allow your blood pressure to increase over this nonsense. Get some noise cancelling headphones.

Antisocial neighbours? Best to ignore them. They are only doing what they are doing to upset you, and if you rise to the bait, they win and it will get worse. You have to reign in any righteous indignation - no matter your sense of entitlement, and simply not react. It implies you know something they do not. Sooner or later they will be gone.

Record in stereo. Use windscreens on the microphones. To increase the volume if still needed mention to the neighbor it is too loud. Chances are he will turn up the volume.

Mention to the unit's owner that they have a problem tenant and you are afraid they might be damaging bits.

Ask the neighbors if they want to join in on a small claims court law suit.

Go on vacation and leave the stereo on.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.