Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Dynamic Mic Repair -- Help needed
Dynamic Mic Repair -- Help needed
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd October 2019, 07:51 PM   #1
f0m3 is offline f0m3
diyAudio Member

Default Dynamic Mic Repair -- Help needed

Hey,
after building a lot of guitar effects, electric guitars etc. i started to try to understand more on audio equipment. Please tell me if it is not ok to post here but i have the feeling there might the right people around here.

I have an 1980s akg dynamic mic D320b wich has a hubucking coil and a bass rolloff switch.
The mic is in a good optical condition and basically working but: the volume is low and there is no bass. i checked the basic wiring and even dropped out the bass rolloff switch (its just plugged in). Everything seems to be ok.

Then i checked the three solderpads outside of the capsule which seem to be +pol, -pol and humbucking coil(outside the capsule).
Theres a nice drawing in this old manual: http://lcweb2.loc.gov/master/mbrs/re...Microphone.pdf
When i measure the three solderpads i can see they are connected to each other as they should. But the across the diaphragm coil i measured about 300 ohms and across the humbucker coil only about 10 ohms. Could there be a problem? maybe a broken humbucker coil?

I would really appreciate some tips on this problem.
Old 30th October 2019, 03:32 PM   #2
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Sounds like the capsule has issues. I've worked on a few mics that have shown similar. For the likes of an AKG D12, the fix is possible, but difficult: you have to remove the diaphragm, clean it, and then re-align it. It's something I offer as a repair service, but there's no guarantee that the mic will be repairable.

My recommendation would be to start looking for new microphones. The EV N/D767a is a decent mic in a lot of ways, and can be had for sensible money on the 2nd-hand market. My go-to is the Sennheiser e935, but they're not cheap.

Chris

Dynamic Mic Repair -- Help neededHide this!Advertise here!