Music in the bathroom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone!
Please advise, with what sound equipment can I play music in the bathroom by turning on the light switch?
This is when you enter the bathroom, click the switch and music starts playing (looped playback of a specific track from digital media source), and when you leave the bathroom, you turn off the light and music with one click.
This should be a system that can be hidden / built into the ceiling or wall of drywall, in combination with moisture-proof speakers. But not a Bluetooth or smartphone control, not a smart light bulb with a built-in speaker and not a radio alarm clock;), it should work simply by pressing a switch / power on the device.
Thanks

...you could start to sing when the switch has been turned on. Simple.

:) :D :) :D :)

Please do not turn topic into a circus! I did not come here for jokes! Please answer purely on the topic and competently!
It's a design project and I have found some solutions on the web but it's more unprofessional, impractical and unreliable.
For example: _http://www.abdullahyahya.com/2016/11/auto-play-stop-music-mp3-when-you-turn-lights-on-off/
or: _https://youtu.be/Ozp9i2kqOpo
I need more practical and professional solution.

I used something similar to this in my boombox:

https://www.amazon.com/Hands-Free-Bluetooth-Recording-Wireless-Amplifier/dp/B07GF31T2Y

When powered up, with a sd memory card (mp3's) , it will start without user intervention.
you will need a photo detector to switch power.

(and an amp & speaker of course)

I need something without Bluetooth or remote control. And no need a photo detector because it will be powered on with the light switch. Like here: YouTube or here: Auto-Play/Stop Music (MP3) When You Turn Lights On/Off | Abdullah Yahya

If you really think it's a joke just go to Italy, Bologna, Cersaie international Exhibition of Ceramic Tile and Bathroom Furnishings and you will be surprised what limited imagination you have.

200.webp

You should probably do your own homework and/or develop a sense of humour.

That said, there are some options here that might be of use: Audio Boards - SparkFun Electronics

In particular the QWIIC MP3 Trigger would be easy to implement - it also has a built in amp which would reduce module count.

And no need a photo detector because it will be powered on with the light switch.

Switching modules on and off repeatedly would probably be more detrimental than just letting one sit in low power state and triggering it with a photo cell. The module I mentioned has to go through a load sequence (how long that takes is yours to find out) and can be triggered by pulling pins low. You might get away with switching it on and off and having those pins permanently tied to ground.

You should probably do your own homework and/or develop a sense of humour.

That said, there are some options here that might be of use: Audio Boards - SparkFun Electronics

In particular the QWIIC MP3 Trigger would be easy to implement - it also has a built in amp which would reduce module count.

Switching modules on and off repeatedly would probably be more detrimental than just letting one sit in low power state and triggering it with a photo cell. The module I mentioned has to go through a load sequence (how long that takes is yours to find out) and can be triggered by pulling pins low. You might get away with switching it on and off and having those pins permanently tied to ground.

First, sorry for my English, this is not my native language. And secondly, my sense of humor is fine, thanks. The question is different, apparently people from this forum have nowhere to realize their sense of dumb except on the forum threads. If I needed jokes, then I would probably turn to a forum of clowns or pranksters right?
Thank you very much for your advice and help!

Joined 2015
Paid Member
Put this search string in a web search engine: MP3 Player Board Module 2W Amplifier
You will find a 5$ board with screw type terminals for the speaker, a SD card slot and a connector for USB memory sticks. Put a Mp3 file on the SD card or memory stick (FAT32 formatted) and the board will immediately play it as soon as the power supply is turned on. I use it since 2016 as door bell.

First, sorry for my English, this is not my native language. And secondly, my sense of humor is fine, thanks. The question is different, apparently people from this forum have nowhere to realize their sense of dumb except on the forum threads. If I needed jokes, then I would probably turn to a forum of clowns or pranksters right?
Thank you very much for your advice and help!

Lighten up a little, there is a fine balance between good honest advice and a bit of chain yanking on this forum. Sometimes it's a challenge to distinguish between the two...

In the meantime, have a read of this:

9781501188640_p0_v1_s600x595.jpg

Put this search string in a web search engine: MP3 Player Board Module 2W Amplifier
You will find a 5$ board with screw type terminals for the speaker, a SD card slot and a connector for USB memory sticks. Put a Mp3 file on the SD card or memory stick (FAT32 formatted) and the board will immediately play it as soon as the power supply is turned on. I use it since 2016 as door bell.

Great solution! :up: You are the best! Thank you so much for your help! Grazie mille! :cheers:

apparently people from this forum have nowhere to realize their sense of dumb except on the forum threads. If I needed jokes, then I would probably turn to a forum of clowns or pranksters right?

Because humour and seriousness cannot coexist on a forum? :rolleyes: would hardly make make for an interesting forum.

Great solution!

I think that shows how good this forum is - even with insults, people are still willing to help out.

Hope your school project works out.

Joined 2015
Paid Member
I attach a picture of the setup with the Mp3 board. It may be easily enclosed in a insulated box. The red/blak wire goes to the speaker. The micro usb cable goes to a regular usb phone charger. The charger is plugged in a electrical outlet. You should wire the outlet in parallel to the ceiling light, so it is switched on whith the lights. That's it, very simple setup. If the default speaker volume is too loud, you could try to understand the engrish inscruction that came with the board or you may add a 4-8 ohm resistor in series to the speaker. Some chargers are slow to put 5V on the output when they are turned: you will experience a small delay before the music starts. You may try several ones.
By the way, it is not unusual in Italy to put a great amount of effort and money on the bathroom fixture to make it unique, as the original poster said.

Attachments

• mp3 play.JPG
    mp3 play.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 161
I mounted two waterproof loadspeakers in the mirror cabinet. They have white front grilles. Search as ship loudspeakers (or for swimming pool or sauna). The radio gets its power from the mirror cabinet light, as it is hidden inside the mirror cabinet.

Attachments

• speaker2.jpg
    speaker2.jpg
    767.9 KB · Views: 111
  • speaker1.jpg
    speaker1.jpg
    519.6 KB · Views: 136
I attach a picture of the setup with the Mp3 board. It may be easily enclosed in a insulated box. The red/blak wire goes to the speaker. The micro usb cable goes to a regular usb phone charger. The charger is plugged in a electrical outlet. You should wire the outlet in parallel to the ceiling light, so it is switched on whith the lights. That's it, very simple setup. If the default speaker volume is too loud, you could try to understand the engrish inscruction that came with the board or you may add a 4-8 ohm resistor in series to the speaker. Some chargers are slow to put 5V on the output when they are turned: you will experience a small delay before the music starts. You may try several ones.
By the way, it is not unusual in Italy to put a great amount of effort and money on the bathroom fixture to make it unique, as the original poster said.

Thanks! I understood. One more thing - is it possible to connect two speakers or just one 3W 5V speaker to it? Because I need in-ceiling concealed speakers, which 5V is hard to find.

Joined 2015
Paid Member
Yes: 2W are usually enough to power two background music speakers. Use standard marine speakers, power is not important since you only have 2-3W and any speaker will accept this power. Wire the speakers in series, this will reduce the strain on the amplifier. If the sound is not loud enough, rewire the speakers in parallel. If the volume is still lacking, use an external amplifier: connect it to the stereo output jack on the board.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.