Retrospective fright

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wanted to illustrate this thread with an example of mains pass-through box, and I remembered that a section of the mains distribution of my lab was equipped with a filter, housed in such a box.

attachment.php

This section is unswitched, thus permanently connected to the mains, and I use it for low power, sensitive instruments, like active probes, distortionmeter, etc.

I thus removed the box to take a snapshot, and I noticed a funny smell.

I took the picture and left it on my desk, but the smell didn't go away and became more and more present.

In the end, suspecting an anomaly, I opened the box and here is what I found:

attachment.php

The filter has overheated, and the hot gases inside the case reached such a pressure that it visibly bulged:

attachment.php

Fortunately, the gases were able to escape through the wires passages, and the case didn't burst, which would have been catastrophic and could have caused a fire.

Yet, the filter is from a reputable maker:

attachment.php

I am almost certain that a paper cap caused the incident, which could have had dramatic consequences.
I have no idea when it happened, the smell was only noticeable from a very short distance.
Thus, beware of paper caps!

Attachments

• CancelCase.jpg
    CancelCase.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 254
  • Schaff1.jpg
    Schaff1.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 247
  • Schaff2.jpg
    Schaff2.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 240
  • Schaff3.jpg
    Schaff3.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 237
Joined 2011
Also recently, an X capacitor in a customer's amplifier that I built over 40 years ago started smoking.
He was kind of freaked out, and since he was far away, I asked him to just cut the bad part out.
Not sure if it was paper.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.