Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

How long to recognize a frequency?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2019, 10:21 PM   #1
bradleypnw is offline bradleypnw
diyAudio Member

Default How long to recognize a frequency?

How long do we need to hear a sound wave before we recognize the frequency? Is it one quarter wavelength, one half, a full cycle, or longer?
Old 19th August 2019, 10:51 PM   #2
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

I seem to recall around one to several cycles.
Old 19th August 2019, 11:36 PM   #3
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

And pretty much only for those who are trained, and even then probably not very accurate.
Old 19th August 2019, 11:41 PM   #4
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

You'd need to have perfect pitch to do it, or else compare the burst with several continuous tones and pick a match.
Old 20th August 2019, 11:36 AM   #5
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

A 'sine wave' which lasts for only a very short time does not have a frequency, but a range of frequencies. We cannot recognise what it does not have. The longer it lasts the better defined is the frequency. A few cycles would be the minimum. Learn about Fourier theory.
Old 20th August 2019, 11:41 AM   #6
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

IIRC Earl Geddes suggested around 5 cycles for low frequencies, hence positioning of subs in a room is not critical in the average listening room from the perspective of time alignment.
Old 20th August 2019, 11:50 AM   #7
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

..and down to a fraction of a cycle at higher frequencies.
Old 20th August 2019, 11:38 PM   #8
bradleypnw is offline bradleypnw
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
IIRC Earl Geddes suggested around 5 cycles for low frequencies, hence positioning of subs in a room is not critical in the average listening room from the perspective of time alignment.
Great. Geddes also said we perceive higher volume level with longer time exposure. I was thinking about building a low frequency array with each driver delayed to increase time exposure to low frequencies.

My goal is to play bass at lower physical volume levels then use increased time exposure to trick my brain into perceiving higher volume levels.
Old 21st August 2019, 09:54 AM   #9
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB
..and down to a fraction of a cycle at higher frequencies.
A fraction of a cycle does not have a frequency, it has a fairly wide band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleypnw
I was thinking about building a low frequency array with each driver delayed to increase time exposure to low frequencies.
You could make your room sound like a cathedral.
Old 21st August 2019, 10:04 AM   #10
Bill Coltrane is offline Bill Coltrane  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleypnw View Post
Great. Geddes also said we perceive higher volume level with longer time exposure. I was thinking about building a low frequency array with each driver delayed to increase time exposure to low frequencies.

My goal is to play bass at lower physical volume levels then use increased time exposure to trick my brain into perceiving higher volume levels.
Its way way way easier to do this experiment with a DAW (digital audio workstation). Just add a lowpassed and delayed signal to your original signal. Audacity is fine for this and free.

How long to recognize a frequency?Hide this!Advertise here!