Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Circuit for one legged capacitor ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2019, 04:54 PM   #21
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

methinks that you actually need half circuit

Old 16th August 2019, 04:58 PM   #22
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w5jag View Post
So how did the other 999 test? Good or bad?
The others were fine.
Good old cheap Chinese caps.....
Old 17th August 2019, 04:47 PM   #23
RJM1 is offline RJM1  United States
diyAudio Member

@rayma

Back in the early 90's I worked for a video projector manufacturer and they were having quality problems with shorts and opens in their motherboards. They asked their supplier to electrically test the boards before shopping (an added expense). We received a batch of 100 boards and a report that 91 had passed. They shipped us 100 boards and after populating and testing the boards we found that they were right. 9 were bad.
Old 17th August 2019, 08:10 PM   #24
rayma is online now rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Why did they send you the bad boards? For a while years ago, I worked for Tracor Northern,
and they had lots of multilayer pcbs with internal shorts.

Last edited by rayma; 17th August 2019 at 08:13 PM.
Old 17th August 2019, 09:28 PM   #25
JMFahey is online now JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

S.O.B.s
Why did they not only ship but charge for the bad on es?

100 times worse: not identifying the bad ones thay made you WESTE time, money, effort and components on the bad ones ... not mentioning the bad ones damaged or at least blocked selling 9 fully finished products.
CRAZY!!!!
Old 22nd August 2019, 02:31 PM   #26
Fast Eddie D is offline Fast Eddie D  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
Probably makes a nice WiFi antenna as well!

Jan
Some capacitors do make good antennas. I forgot to solder one leg of a capacitor once. The circuit worked with reduced gain (it was the electrolytic in a feedback circuit), but it was picking up multiple radio stations at one time. Poking around the circuit with my finger, I noticed that if I touched one capacitor the noise got way louder. I fixed the one solder joint and it worked as intended.

I also learned to connect the capacitor to the lower impedance leg of the circuit in a filter circuit. Example if you have a capacitor and resistor in series, ground the capacitor if one leg of the circuit is grounded. If the components go between the output and inverting input, then the capacitor get connected to the output.
Old 22nd August 2019, 02:38 PM   #27
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie D View Post

I also learned to connect the capacitor to the lower impedance leg of the circuit in a filter circuit. Example if you have a capacitor and resistor in series, ground the capacitor if one leg of the circuit is grounded. If the components go between the output and inverting input, then the capacitor get connected to the output.
Yes sound advice. Also in case of a rolled film cap, where you can identify the lead to the outside of the roll, connect that to ground to shield the internals.

Jan
Old 22nd August 2019, 02:44 PM   #28
Tubelab_com is online now Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Probably makes a nice WiFi antenna as well!.....Some capacitors do make good antennas.
It might make a good WiFi or GPS antenna if you had the means to trim the lead length just right.

I spent several years in cell phone design. We were putting together a few prototype phones for field testing and we hadn't received the GPS patch antennas from the vendor.

The plan was to test without GPS, but I took a couple of paper clips cut them in half to form a "J" shape and trimmed them to match the correct frequency and impedance on a network analyzer. I stuffed them into two phones and we went about our testing.

We did some basic GPS testing on the two phones that had the paper clips, then replaced them and fitted the remaining phones with the proper antennas, then did the usual GPS testing. It seems that the bent paper clip had outperformed the proper GPS antenna by a pretty good margin. This was verified with more paper clips.

The final shipping phone got a better ceramic patch antenna, that did work better than the paper clip when held in the hand. That's where the paper clip failed to keep up.
Old 22nd August 2019, 02:49 PM   #29
amplidude is offline amplidude  Denmark
diyAudio Member

It's not nice to make fun of a handicapped capacitors, it might get depressed, but since its one legged it might be usefull in a pirate FM transmitter.
Old 22nd August 2019, 02:55 PM   #30
amplidude is offline amplidude  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Does bipolar caps suffer from mental illness?

Circuit for one legged capacitor ?Hide this!Advertise here!