Convert mm to inches - easy to remember!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• Garland.jpg
    Garland.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 111
Well.... The Murican inch may be 25.4 mm (or 25.39whatever). The DANISH inch, however, is 26 mm. Just thought I'd point that out. I actually have a tape measurer that measures in cm and Danish inches.

Ya know. I think there's a reason the world has converted to the metric system. Now we just need the US, Liberia, and Myanmar to catch up. :)

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_0485.jpg
    IMG_0485.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 93
I once had an imperial ruler that divided inches into tenths. I am wondering what that would be used for, maybe writing in decimals?
Most of my rulers include graduations of tenths of an inch so I researched the topic and found the following.

Decimal rulers can be based on both the Imperial system and the Metric system.

Decimal rulers using inches normally have graduations of 0.1" and 0.01".

Is it not true that NASA put men on the moon using decimals of an inch?

Attachments

• Engineer's Scale Rule.jpg
    Engineer's Scale Rule.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 79
It's certainly not unusual to have rules calibrated 10ths of an inch. I have a 12" stainless steel rule date stamped 1943 that has four scales.

1. 16ths - 32nds - 64ths.
2. 12ths - 24ths - 48ths.
3. 10ths - 20ths - 50ths.
4. cms - mm - 1/2mm.

Those combinations on one rule are a bit unusual I think.

I also have a 12" Chesterman No.412D rule dated 1961. It also has four scales one of which is 12ths - 24ths - 48ths - 96ths on an inch. It is also marked "Standard at 68F"!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.