Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please help with stairs Led problem !
Please help with stairs Led problem !
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2019, 10:25 PM   #1
JinMTVT is offline JinMTVT  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Please help with stairs Led problem !

hi all! i would need help with a small problem i have here.

Installed the new stairs in the house, which have integrated led strips under each threads ( 18 leds strips ) .
Bought a controller online from Ukraine, thinking it would be powerefull enough. Seems i was wrong.

So the problem here is that all the Led strips are " siliconed " in the stairs now and i cannot reach the connections at the back without many many hours of work ( would have to take out every strips, cut them in length a bit and echange wiring )

The original controller called for a comon positive and controller from the negative side ( 12V DC ) so i wired the Leds accordingly and the wires go through the post and the wall ( lol ).

Since i didn't know the power of the strips when i placed the order
( had not received the stairs yet ) i assumed the controller had enough current on each channel, which it doesn't.

Neway the seller offered a schematic using P Mosfet to alleviate that problem
but it would require me to reverse every wires and probably 8-10 hours with chances or scratches and breaking something etc ...

So he then supplied a back to back mosfet schematic that was supposed to work to get back to driving the leds from the negative.

I bought all parts and assembled, seemed to work from the single one i tested but once everything is connected now the lights are all on all the time
and the controller shuts them down instead of turning them on . lol

not much experience with electronics, at least not enough to figure out a way to fix this

So please tell me ( if what i wrote made any sense..if not my apologies )
if there is a way to use a negative controller through mosfet(s) to run common positive 12v leds ( the moseft i think are required cause there is some PWM involved for the fading in/out etc.. )

I will post original schematic and updated one.

thanks for any help !
Old 2nd July 2019, 10:30 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

schematics

i suggested that i thought the source/drain were reversed on the second
stage ( N channel ) and he acknowledged ..but yeah unsure of all that stuff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (38.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (36.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg int_1.jpg (86.0 KB, 52 views)
Old 2nd July 2019, 10:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

suggested connection at first, but as i said that would require me to inverse all wires at the leds and alot of labor is involved..if there is another way i would prefer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg conenctions.jpg (78.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 11th July 2019, 07:44 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

so it is possible ? please i need to decide on what to do next!

thanks

Please help with stairs Led problem !Hide this!Advertise here!