Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

LG television recap
LG television recap
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2019, 06:15 PM   #1
StewartH83 is offline StewartH83  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to StewartH83
Default LG television recap

I decided to recap my old LG television as I'm not to interested in buying a new one as I feel its not used too much and also to get experienced in electronics. I love soldering too. Doing televisions is great as its visual the difference too

I have done all the electrolytic caps in the PSU twice. Once with Rubycon and the big Nippon and Nichicon and the left side.

Then I swapped all for Panasonic FR and 1 FM in the middle at the top and the Panasonics are miles better. The Rubycon are too dark and take longer to break in. I know what I'm looking for as I work in a car bodyshop and the detail image is better than it was when new with the Sam Young capacitors originally. I remember the picture quality wasn't impressive when I first bought it.

Highly recommended instead of buying a new TV
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190515_150530.jpg (496.7 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190604_185227.jpg (381.2 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by StewartH83; 12th June 2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12th June 2019, 08:36 PM   #2
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Sorry but a PSU is a PSU and has nothing to do with picture quality, save maybe, noise when the main smoothing is an issue.
The main board with the processing, can cause issues as can the decoder/up convertor, (if it has one) can.

Last edited by JonSnell Electronic; 12th June 2019 at 08:39 PM.
Old 13th June 2019, 03:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I respect your thoughts. Also seen enough of your posts here to understand you know what your talking about

I know PSU's is very controversial, I decided to find out myself as I didn't think it would make much difference.

Of course new caps are the best improvement yet I did find differences switching Rubycon to Panasonic. I won't want to change your mind as I was not having it until I tried it. I find low Esr caps are more important at the front of PSU and high ripple throughout. My Yamaha Blueray player was the same, although the reason I changed the PSU in the BD player because Capxon caps are unreliable
Old 13th June 2019, 06:32 PM   #4
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

LG television recap
I'd say a re-cap is probably worth while on stuff like this, if only for reliability reasons.

I re-capped my Sony RDR HXD870 PSU around 18 months ago on the grounds it was around 10? years old at the time and it gets lots and lots of use, many hours a day. I checked the caps that came out on a meter (measuring Tan Theta) and found them as good as the new ones (which were top brand names) being fitted. The feelgood factor was there though
Old 13th June 2019, 10:59 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank very much Mooly, your another fantastic credit to this page and I respect the time taken giving people answers and knowledge!

I can't agree more with you on the feel good factor and the piece of mind is grateful

All this experience was great timing as my washing machine packed in and turned out to be just 2 budged capacitors in the PSU haha easy fix for 60p

I think I'm at the real start of the hobby after 25 years of loving hi-fi without getting the best out of my gear

LG television recapHide this!Advertise here!