LG television recap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I decided to recap my old LG television as I'm not to interested in buying a new one as I feel its not used too much and also to get experienced in electronics. I love soldering too. Doing televisions is great as its visual the difference too

I have done all the electrolytic caps in the PSU twice. Once with Rubycon and the big Nippon and Nichicon and the left side.

Then I swapped all for Panasonic FR and 1 FM in the middle at the top and the Panasonics are miles better. The Rubycon are too dark and take longer to break in. I know what I'm looking for as I work in a car bodyshop and the detail image is better than it was when new with the Sam Young capacitors originally. I remember the picture quality wasn't impressive when I first bought it.

Highly recommended instead of buying a new TV

Attachments

• IMG_20190515_150530.jpg
    IMG_20190515_150530.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20190604_185227.jpg
    IMG_20190604_185227.jpg
    381.2 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
I respect your thoughts. Also seen enough of your posts here to understand you know what your talking about

I know PSU's is very controversial, I decided to find out myself as I didn't think it would make much difference.

Of course new caps are the best improvement yet I did find differences switching Rubycon to Panasonic. I won't want to change your mind as I was not having it until I tried it. I find low Esr caps are more important at the front of PSU and high ripple throughout. My Yamaha Blueray player was the same, although the reason I changed the PSU in the BD player because Capxon caps are unreliable

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'd say a re-cap is probably worth while on stuff like this, if only for reliability reasons.

I re-capped my Sony RDR HXD870 PSU around 18 months ago on the grounds it was around 10? years old at the time and it gets lots and lots of use, many hours a day. I checked the caps that came out on a meter (measuring Tan Theta) and found them as good as the new ones (which were top brand names) being fitted. The feelgood factor was there though :)

Thank very much Mooly, your another fantastic credit to this page and I respect the time taken giving people answers and knowledge!

I can't agree more with you on the feel good factor and the piece of mind is grateful

All this experience was great timing as my washing machine packed in and turned out to be just 2 budged capacitors in the PSU haha easy fix for 60p

I think I'm at the real start of the hobby after 25 years of loving hi-fi without getting the best out of my gear

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.