Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Can you hear absolute phase? - listening test
Can you hear absolute phase? - listening test
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Can you hear a difference between the files?
Yes, but I have no ABX result 2 25.00%
No, and I have no ABX result 2 25.00%
Yes, and I have a positive ABX result 4 50.00%
No, and I have a negative ABX result 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th June 2019, 02:57 PM   #31
gpauk is offline gpauk  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Well, I'm away, and tried it with some apple earbuds I borrowed - the files are indistinguishable - but these earbuds are awful. I'll try with decent cans when I get back to the ranch!
Old 11th June 2019, 03:40 PM   #32
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

No problem, looking forward your next result!
Old 11th June 2019, 04:33 PM   #33
NATDBERG is offline NATDBERG  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tournesol View Post
With species evolutions, our senses adapted themselves to the best ability to survive. As much of the sounds we hear from movements of animals in nature are the result of shocks (compressions) it seems obvious our hearing could be more sensible to pressure on front waves.
The other thing that can make a difference are the transducers we use. Are-they really symmetrical ? I am not sure ;-)
I think the logic is faulty here.

1) Something seeming "obvious" to a human is a form of cognitive bias - it doesn't necessarily have a basis in truth, more likely that leap of thought is culturally influenced.

2) Your common belief about how our bodies work and relating it to once having to react to nature isn't necessarily true in the first place. Which makes your leap of logic more a leap of faith..

I only pick up on this not as a criticism but more to point out that, despite this being a common and often repeated belief about the development of our senses, it does not mean it is true. In fact I don't think there is really much proof of it being true - yes there are a lot of theories, but I'm not sure confirmed proof .
Old 15th June 2019, 04:53 AM   #34
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

Most of us (^)wouldn’t have survived very long say 50,000 years ago either I’m guessing...

I will have to load the sound clips onto an SD card here and try it out when I get a chance.
Old 22nd June 2019, 03:51 PM   #35
Sebastian K is online now Sebastian K  Europe
diyAudio Member

Here's an article from Stereophile, 1980: Absolute Phase: Fact or Fallacy? | Stereophile.com

tl;dr They attribute audibility of absolute phase to transducer asymmetric nonlinearities.
Old 22nd June 2019, 04:05 PM   #36
mitchba is offline mitchba  Canada
diyAudio Member

Check out Archimago's article on Absolute Polarity/Phase with several examples one can download and listen to.
Old 22nd June 2019, 04:40 PM   #37
mitchba is offline mitchba  Canada
diyAudio Member

PS. should have added the first paragraph of Arch's conclusion from the article linked above:

"Well guys and gals, indeed absolute polarity/phase is an audible phenomenon. This is an interesting property of the physiology of human hearing. I'm a believer! And was definitely wrong last week to assume that "absolute polarity" was about whether the first wave was up/down going, and the J.G. Holt Stereophile article from 1980 could use a little updating to include the physiology of the human inner ear."
Old 22nd June 2019, 05:16 PM   #38
Sebastian K is online now Sebastian K  Europe
diyAudio Member

Nice link, better than mine! But Stereophile wasn't wrong with the result that with usual music and good equipment it is not generally heard.

BTW, I took the ABX test. 8/8, wasn't hard.
"ABX Test" app for Android, Samsung S7, Sennheiser Momentum M2 in-ears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190622-190919.jpg (67.5 KB, 54 views)
Old 7th July 2019, 11:56 PM   #39
rickmcinnis is offline rickmcinnis  United States
diyAudio Member

I am not sure I am preferring "absolute phase" when I switch the phase - but for most recordings there is a best position.

It can manifest itself in different ways - one cannot simply listen for one thing.

If one is listening to a recording and it occurs to you there is something funny - switch the phase. Most of the time it is better - sometimes it is even funnier. Oh, well. You switch back. Now you know it could be worse.
Old 8th July 2019, 03:19 AM   #40
gabdx is offline gabdx  Canada
diyAudio Member

with headphones the POS hits more deep, the other has some slight sharpness, the POS dullness, however I cannot tell which is which , 50/50 on headphones.

Can you hear absolute phase? - listening testHide this!Advertise here!