TCP/IP headache

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My main laptop has died, and I am trying (provisionnaly) to revive an old machine.

It operates under XP, but I managed to make it work in a "modern" context: HTTPS, etc.

It does not have wifi though, which is a bit annoying, but I managed to find an old PCMCIA wifi adapter (Asus WL-107G) and suitable drivers on the net.

I could install it and make the radio/encryption, etc work properly, but the DHCP does not seem to work properly, meaning I have a "Limited connectivity" warning.

In fact, it cannot connect to the internet.

I tried every possible fix, but to no avail.

As a last resort, I ditched the DHCP, and forced static adresses, something I generally prefer to avoid, but here I had exhausted all the options.

At first, it seemed to work: the limited connectivity was gone and I had all-green for signal strength, etc. ......but the internet was completely broken, even on the wired connection.

This means that the interface completely messes up the TCP/IP, not just the DHCP which is just a consequence.

The WL-107 does not seem to have known issues, and it is contemporary of XP and the Compag laptop, meaning they belong to a relatively homogenous ecosystem.

The wifi router has never caused any problem and has always accepted all the devices thrown at it.

There seems to be an incompatibility somewhere in the TCP/IP layer, but I am unable to detect anything wrong.

Here is the IP configuration with the DHCP active: obviously, the wireless adapter didn't receive a proper IP, because it remains at 169. ...

Any ideas?

Attachments

• ipconfig.PNG
    ipconfig.PNG
    36.6 KB · Views: 184
I imagine it wont help but once I had a similar problem with Debian (Linux) and after many hours and attempts with system re-installation I finally found that it was a problem of hardware initialization by the motherboard (when it happens I need to switch off the computer and leave it some seconds without current, than it works fine). At least I suppose it to be an hardware initialization problem, I am not sure. Anyway, I would suggest you to try with another wi-fi adapter. Unfortunately I work manly with Linux systems.

From the screen shot, your wireless interface is not configured. Suggest you disable one adaptor (either Lan or wifi) and get the other working.
I'd recommend disabling wifi, then checking if you can ping 192.168.1.1 (which I assume is your gateway). I would expect this to work. If that works, then see if you can ping 1.1.1.1
And if that works, then try pinging Google.com

Last edited:
To make things clear: the screenshot is taken in the "normal" configuration, ie. DHCP active for both the wired and wireless connections.

In this situation, the DHCP acquisition for the wifi adapter seems to take forever, and eventually fails, which explains the 169. adress, and the wired connection still works alright (ping, etc).

When I force sensible static adresses, I can eliminate the "limited connectivity", and I can see the correct adress in the ipconfig, but I cannot access or ping anything: everything is frozen.

If I disable the wired connection, it does not work better, and if I disable the wifi connection, everything comes back to normal, meaning the wifi IP alone is causing troubles.

I have of course tried the usual fixes, restarts, renews, flushing, etc, but nothing works

I suspect the wireless card is more likely the culprit.
Yes, I also arrived at the same conclusion: there is something wrong (or incompatible) with the IP handling of the card, and as soon as it becomes actives, it wreaks havoc with the whole IP.

I will probably try to install an earlier version of the drivers

HI

it seems to me that it is better to have only one active/enabled connection, either wired or wifi and have the gateway IP configured
That's one of the first thing I tried, but it didn't help, and anyway it is possible to configure the hierarchy of connections

The wifi adapter is detected but the IP address is not configured.
Like they said, disable the wifi adapter and test just with the wired connection. Make this one work.
Next step, disable the wired adapter and start working with the wifi adapter.
Only use static IP to start and make sure you configure your DNS static with the gateway address.
Let’s see how far you can go this way. I'm not 100% sure but the command to see your routes is “route print” in the command shell. That could provide additional info.
There could also be some routing conflict if both adapters are enabled and with the same IP. Even with different IPs you will have issues since you will have 2 interfaces with the same subnet and gateway.

I would first disable the wired network adaptor, then on the router disable encryption and wireless N - force it to use B/G, assuming you have a NAT firewall on the router enabled then also disable your firewall and antivirus on the laptop.
Reboot all and see if you can get a connection, then re enable firewall, then anti virus etc.
Also set router to channel 1 or 6 - not 11 as have come across compatibility issues with channel 11 on a chipset combo in the past.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
You need to get rid of the auto config ip address that starts with 169.x.x.x.

Check these tips out:

To enter the registry, open a command prompt and type regedit or enter regedit in Run:.

Don't change to many things at once in the registry and back it up, if you can before making changes.
Backup and Restore the Registry – Guide for Windows XP, 7, 8, 8.1, 10

Disabling Automatic IP Addressing (APIPA) | ITGeared.com

Windows 2000 / XP Disabling Auto IP-address generation

How to disable IP autoconfiguration in Core server - DHCP/IPAM - Spiceworks

YouTube

Last edited:
Problem solved: I have re-installed a different version of the drivers, and it worked immediately.

Probably an obscure compatibilty issue between the drivers and some component of the PC
Stone age WiFi NICs and drivers on a modern router configured for speed is very hit and miss.

Nice job getting it connected.
Using WPA or did you get WPA2 working?
WPA isnt very secure, but as long as you dont have lots of sensitive and critical information on your network or the kid next door is a script kiddie ... who cares.

Im guessing your initial problem was caused by old drivers with no WPA2 support or awareness. It accepts the encryption key and thinks its connected. But its just a bug. There is no support for WPA2 in WindowsXP by default. A patch exists, but its not a part of any service pack or automatic update.

How did your laptop die?

Using WPA or did you get WPA2 working?
WPA isnt very secure, but as long as you dont have lots of sensitive and critical information on your network or the kid next door is a script kiddie ... who cares.

Im guessing your initial problem was caused by old drivers with no WPA2 support or awareness. It accepts the encryption key and thinks its connected. But its just a bug. There is no support for WPA2 in WindowsXP by default. A patch exists, but its not a part of any service pack or automatic update.
WPA2 works. It has the last service pack, and I did all the available updates

How did your laptop die?
It was bent, apparently causing a solder spike on the main board to pierce an insulation sheet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.