Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

18650 battery pack diagnosis.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 5th October 2019, 11:48 PM   #11
Refugee1 is offline Refugee1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I would first put it on the charger and turn on and off with about 30 seconds on and off timing for about 5 or 6 times.
The start up test usually applies voltage for a short time and once the little test bursts have added a little bit of charge the charger detects a valid battery and begins charging.
This works for some types of camera battery.

Old 6th October 2019, 02:01 AM   #12
redrooster is offline redrooster  Australia
diyAudio Member

I tried that but it stayed the same. I remember now, this guy put a mixture of what looked like it may be honey and water in the top container and it probably shorted it out? Ill dry the battery out and see how it goes then?

Last edited by redrooster; 6th October 2019 at 02:07 AM.

Old 6th October 2019, 01:37 PM   #13
Refugee1 is offline Refugee1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have had that problem after a cracked tank.
I cleaned it with de-greacer and it was fine.

Old 6th October 2019, 03:33 PM   #14
redrooster is offline redrooster  Australia
diyAudio Member

That didn't work either so I took it apart and found that it was fully charged to just over 4v? It doesn't appear to be lighting the coil when the button is pushed so it might have water in the momentary-on switch? So I'm drying that out now. I can see a bit of fog under the plastic coating on the PCB looking through a jeweler loupe so it looks like a hairdryer job. I'm wary of these Lithium batteries so I will be heating it up carefully bit by bit. I'm surprised at how sophisticated the PCB board is on these things?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0344.jpg (921.9 KB, 26 views)

Old 6th October 2019, 08:26 PM   #15
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I design lithium ion battery packs for consumer electronics for a living and all I can say is you guys are nuts.. (Said in the kindest way possible) The 18650 when abused is dangerous.

I sure would not want damaged cells in a vape pen I was sticking in my mouth. Burning RC controlled toys are bad enough...

Damaged cells when recharged can become extremely hazardous if there is any mechanical damage due to misuse or excessive discharging - they can develop internal shorts across the separator and when that happens they become violently exothermic - we've all seen the videos.

The mosfets discussed are on a PCBA separate from the cells themselves and can only protect cells from external abuse, and not from an internal cell failure due to ill-advised tinkering once the electronics have deemed the pack unsafe for use. (Not all pack electronics is sophisticated enough to permanently disable the battery pack in the event of a fault.)

This thread discusses unsafe practices which could injure the unwary.

Old 6th October 2019, 08:30 PM   #16
Moderation Team is offline Moderation Team
diyAudio Moderator

Closed by moderation for safety reasons.

Closed Thread

18650 battery pack diagnosis.Hide this!Advertise here!