Possible EM reduction thru grounding?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay so I decided to tie both the outlet box ground lug and the outlet receptacle body ground lug together on the 12/2 conductor. Most outlet's I have ever opened up only either have the ground conductor tied to the Box or the receptacle body usually not both. I don't want to rely on the receptacle body mounting screws to provide a ground.
Also I just found in the Canadian electrical code book that Outlets should be mounted with the ground up and the hot / neutral down. The original explanation I was given years ago was that if anything conductive ever falls onto a loose plug it will only hit the ground.

HI Its quite important to avoid whats known as ground loops as these can introduce severe hum problems.Normally I would reccomend a STAR earthing scheme.Just one thing did strike me is>This installation is for a recording studio (if ive finally got it right!!) If you are going to have other people using your studio perhaps it would be better to strictly follow the regs as then you are covered in the event of accident.Once again sorry for missreading your post.

Also I just found in the Canadian electrical code book that Outlets should be mounted with the ground up and the hot / neutral down. The original explanation I was given years ago was that if anything conductive ever falls onto a loose plug it will only hit the ground.
In the US, this is NOT a NEC rule.
But it may be a corporation, industry or jurisdiction rule.
I tried it at home with several receptacles, found it to be a real pain with items that have molded plugs. Like a 'Kill-a-Watt'.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...I just found in the Canadian electrical code book that Outlets should be mounted with the ground up and the hot / neutral down....

Can you cite chapter and verse?

As said, in the US the NEC is indifferent. My tendency is ground-hole up. As said, a fair number of toys don't fit well ground-up.

On another job I will revert to "happy-face convention", ground down, just so future buyers won't look at it funny. But I am close enough to Canada that I could be contrary, if I had official backup.

I once saw a map with a metal edge on the bottom drop and fall onto some plug in an outlet. The map was able to wedge between the outlet and plug and go 'blap!'. The circuit breaker tripped at least. A decent dent was left in the bottom of the metal.
Also remember that steel has fairly high resistance compared to copper so it can easily heat and maybe light the map on fire. Good idea to have the ground pointing up.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.