Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Possible EM reduction thru grounding?
Possible EM reduction thru grounding?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th June 2019, 12:58 AM   #21
Top Shelf is offline Top Shelf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Okay so I decided to tie both the outlet box ground lug and the outlet receptacle body ground lug together on the 12/2 conductor. Most outlet's I have ever opened up only either have the ground conductor tied to the Box or the receptacle body usually not both. I don't want to rely on the receptacle body mounting screws to provide a ground.
Also I just found in the Canadian electrical code book that Outlets should be mounted with the ground up and the hot / neutral down. The original explanation I was given years ago was that if anything conductive ever falls onto a loose plug it will only hit the ground.
Old 27th June 2019, 08:33 PM   #22
johnsurnamerobinson is offline johnsurnamerobinson
diyAudio Member

HI Its quite important to avoid whats known as ground loops as these can introduce severe hum problems.Normally I would reccomend a STAR earthing scheme.Just one thing did strike me is>This installation is for a recording studio (if ive finally got it right!!) If you are going to have other people using your studio perhaps it would be better to strictly follow the regs as then you are covered in the event of accident.Once again sorry for missreading your post.
Old 27th June 2019, 10:08 PM   #23
Speedskater is offline Speedskater  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Also I just found in the Canadian electrical code book that Outlets should be mounted with the ground up and the hot / neutral down. The original explanation I was given years ago was that if anything conductive ever falls onto a loose plug it will only hit the ground.
In the US, this is NOT a NEC rule.
But it may be a corporation, industry or jurisdiction rule.
I tried it at home with several receptacles, found it to be a real pain with items that have molded plugs. Like a 'Kill-a-Watt'.
Old 28th June 2019, 12:59 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

No need to be sorry.This will only be used by me.
Always better to do it the right and legal way.
Old 28th June 2019, 03:40 AM   #25
PRR is online now PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
...I just found in the Canadian electrical code book that Outlets should be mounted with the ground up and the hot / neutral down....
Can you cite chapter and verse?

As said, in the US the NEC is indifferent. My tendency is ground-hole up. As said, a fair number of toys don't fit well ground-up.

On another job I will revert to "happy-face convention", ground down, just so future buyers won't look at it funny. But I am close enough to Canada that I could be contrary, if I had official backup.
Old 28th June 2019, 03:55 AM   #26
daqvin_carter is online now daqvin_carter  United States
diyAudio Member

I once saw a map with a metal edge on the bottom drop and fall onto some plug in an outlet. The map was able to wedge between the outlet and plug and go 'blap!'. The circuit breaker tripped at least. A decent dent was left in the bottom of the metal.
Also remember that steel has fairly high resistance compared to copper so it can easily heat and maybe light the map on fire. Good idea to have the ground pointing up.
Old 28th June 2019, 01:55 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

You'll have to wait until at least Tuesday or Wednesday when I get back from the small festival I am doing sound for that code.
Right now I am loading songs onto USB's so I can try my hand at my first time DJing.

Possible EM reduction thru grounding?Hide this!Advertise here!