Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Possible EM reduction thru grounding?
Possible EM reduction thru grounding?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2019, 04:37 PM   #11
Speedskater is offline Speedskater  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsrsb View Post
In most countries having two earth systems in a single building that are not bonded together, is not allowed unless they are so far apart that you cannot touch both at the same time (minimum distance is set in regulations). Otherwise you may kill people if there is a lightning strike
Most countries don't permit two isolated Planet Earth grounding systems, regardless of the spacing.
Old 21st May 2019, 11:30 PM   #12
Top Shelf is online now Top Shelf  Canada
diyAudio Member

It looks like there was a misunderstanding of my ideas to the electricians.
I spoke to the lead sparky today and laid it all out. He said it didnt seem to be legal. His first thought was to have the a/v recepticals have an extra ground wire come off the receptical body itself straight back to the panel ground lug. The outlet boxes should have the ground wire from the power line connected to them.
He said he will consult with some inspectors about this and get back to verify. Hopefully he'll get back soon so i can present the proper way here.
Just in case i brought the lastest copy of the ontario electrical code home to study tonight.
Thanks for bringing it up that something wasnt right!
Old 22nd May 2019, 02:02 AM   #13
davidsrsb is offline davidsrsb  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Basically everything is bonded together, as it should be.
Old 7th June 2019, 12:51 AM   #14
Top Shelf is online now Top Shelf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hey guys. So here's what i have learned.
Shield arrangement does not have form a farraday cage, it can be a flat panel dividing the line of sight space between the emitter and the protected object.
Also there is very little difference in level of protection between grounded shield and ungrounded, some applications there is a <10% increase in protection with grounding.
The smaller the mesh the higher the freq protection ,solid covering the broadest range.
All tests i have seen, foil works very well for electromagnetic shielding but not magnetic shielding as it is too thin and saturates quickly.
Also magnetic shielding has to be done with ferro materials.
Old 16th June 2019, 10:27 PM   #15
johnsurnamerobinson is offline johnsurnamerobinson
diyAudio Member

Built a faraday cage when european emc regs came in (solid zintex) walls and 30 ft deep earth rod and powered by its own generator,to test our products for self cert. Killed all radio and mobiles stone dead!!!!

Possible EM reduction thru grounding?Hide this!Advertise here!