Sound has mass?....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Music, the voice of a singer or a musical instrument generate invisible images in space that have their own shape, color and even smell but science has not yet discovered it.
We are blind so we do not see the sound but only hear it.
And if a person saw the sounds, he could unmistakably determine where the sound-image is better and where it is worse, and no one could mislead him with the price of acoustic components.

I played kinetics in 2016 with my daughter, getting quite luciferian forms ... The sand in the video is arranged according to the energy profile : the news is a mass transport: 1 w / s is a lot, but it is not too big ... 0.1 mg is a little, but not very little. Let's wait ...

Attachments

• 13133280_1074266125965820_8902732111039022586_n.jpg
    13133280_1074266125965820_8902732111039022586_n.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 146
Back on topic...

The mediums sound travels through have mass. Technologies exploit this.

The mass of air in a speaker cabinet or port is part of the equations used to design speaker cabinets, is it not?

Hypothetical models are interesting if they eventually help us explain stuff. I think the jury is still out on "negative gravity" etc.

Researchers suggest that empirical support for the 'sound has mass' hypothesis may be obtained by monitoring earthquakes.

An earthquake generates powerful sound waves which travel through the Earth's crust, and the mass associated with them may register on sensitive gravimeters.

These sound waves could have a mass as large as 100 billion kilograms associated with them!

Researchers suggest that empirical support for the 'sound has mass' hypothesis may be obtained by monitoring earthquakes.

An earthquake generates powerful sound waves which travel through the Earth's crust, and the mass associated with them may register on sensitive gravimeters.

These sound waves could have a mass as large as 100 billion kilograms associated with them!

Again, the medium propagating the sound has mass. Sound by definition is the periodic oscillation of said medium.

Mass in motion possesses the property of momentum. In the case of the earth's crust, that momentum is very large. Momentum can impart a force on another object (think pool balls). In the case of earthquakes, very large forces are imparted on objects. We all know the results.

There is no sound without a medium. Sound does not propagate through space.

There is no sound without a medium. Sound does not propogate through space.
I agree - I've performed the ringing bell in the vacuum jar experiment and I've seen 'Alien' - in space no one can hear you scream! :eek:

The new, as yet unproven, theory postulates that sound waves carry a small amount of mass with them as they travel through a medium.

The mass to which the researchers refer is not related to the mass of the medium itself.

Physics - Focus: Sound Waves Carry Mass

The traditional view of sound is that it is a wave motion which transfers energy without transporting mass from source to destination.

The new theory suggests that sound is a particle motion. The particles of sound are called phonons and they interact with a gravitational field in a way that requires them to transport mass as they move from source to destination.
P.S. I don't necessarily agree with the new 'theory'!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.