Translate equipment labels from French

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi,

I scored a pair of Thorens preamps (ca. 1955) and am trying to work out the functionality.

At the front panel there are labels:

Sortie (I know, means output);
Micro (microphone for sure);
Aux (another easy one);
RD-PU - this one has me stumped. What could that mean? I believe the preamp also has tape functions so it could be related to that.

Any Francophile knows?

Jan

Last edited:
Post some pics, front and rear.

Dan.

Attachments

• Museum_16.jpg
    Museum_16.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 111
PU is Pick-Up, as in phono.
I don't see RD in the pic, it could be "Radio"
You haven't mentioned "Bande", which is tape.
Here's a partial schematic of the Thorens PR24 I traced many moons ago.

Attachments

• img058.jpg
    img058.jpg
    682 KB · Views: 86
  • img060.jpg
    img060.jpg
    634.5 KB · Views: 92
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thats interesting, some people told me the preamps I have are from the PR2x series.
Pictures attached.
The circuit has what appears to be a bias generator with 2 x EL90 so there probably is some kind of a replay or even record circuit for tape.

What would 'record' or 'replay' be in French?

Edit: there's pair of 5-pin DIN connectors on the back but they are not labelled. The bias generator feeds in one of them, the other is probably the aux input.

Edit 2: RD could be 'Réproduceur Disques' which would make sense of PU as pick-up. So it would stand for 'pick-up for record replay'.

Jan

Attachments

• closeup 3000px.jpg
    closeup 3000px.jpg
    891 KB · Views: 82
  • full 3500px.jpg
    full 3500px.jpg
    616.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
... What would 'record' or 'replay' be in French?

Record = Enregistrement
Replay = Lecture, can also be Reproduction

Edit 2: RD could be 'Réproduceur Disques' which would make sense of PU as pick-up. So it would stand for 'pick-up for record replay'...

I've never seen 'Réproduceur Disques' (incorrect) nor "Reproduction Disques" (kind of correct). Worst case, it's could still be "Radio" which may imply it supports the crystal cartridges (remember these?:)), and no RIAA provided.

You'll have to open it up to know!

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Record = Enregistrement
Replay = Lecture, can also be Reproduction

I've never seen 'Réproduceur Disques' (incorrect) nor "Reproduction Disques" (kind of correct). Worst case, it's could still be "Radio" which may imply it supports the crystal cartridges (remember these?:)), and no RIAA provided.

You'll have to open it up to know!

Yes as far as I can see there is no RIAA, crystal p.u. sounds logical. I have opened it up, but need some time to trace it out. Being basically lazy I thought I'd try to get some info first ;-)

Jan

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Pick-Up was a common term in France for a phonograph during the time this unit was made. I suppose it sounded exotic and cool back then. :)

Perhaps it was meant for a high output ceramic cartridge and would have worked for radio too? Doesn't seem like a good idea, but RD doesn't ring a bell otherwise.
EDIT: Anything I ever saw called a "Pick-Up" in France had a ceramic cart. General consumer goods of the time. You'd think Thorens would have dome better. :p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.