Easy hearing test.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You guys are doing well.

Test: Online Tone Generator - Free, Quick, No Sign Up Required.

Only use headphones unless you want to destroy tweeters.

Results here:

Online Tone Generator - Hearing Test Results: Is your hearing better or worse than average?

Its a very crude test as theres no set dB levels.

Luckily for us as we age and go deaf to high frequencies the highest fundamentals in music are usually well under 5kHz Range (music - Wikipedia)

So were getting a free inbuilt harmonic distortion filter that improves year after year.

14600 at age 62 :) but before you get too despondent remember that from 14500 - 19000 is only 4 and a bit semitones... it really isn't the end of the world:):) just enjoy the music. I'm astonished by the number of members on here who have hearing aids and/or tinnitus, and they're still into music!!! I just hope I get to be so lucky :)

Tests like this are nonsense. First, the frequency response of your headphone is unknown, and it is not ruler flat for sure. Second, sensitivity of human ear at various frequencies is level-dependent. You have to test under controlled environment, and I think even at the audiology clinic only deviation from average is determined. Or their headhones come factory calibrated with the measuring rig.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Tests like this are nonsense. ...the frequency response of your headphone is unknown... Or their headhones come factory calibrated with the measuring rig.

For slight hearing loss, yes, your speakers/phones have larger errors.

When hearing loss becomes problematic, the ear-loss is larger than any likely transducer error. Shown below is a +/-9dB zone around "flat", which covers a lot of hi-fi gear; and the ear curves of a 57 yo and a 80+ yo man. Once the highs start to go, they go WAY low. (The 57yo first noticed around 50 that his left speaker "didn't hiss" and he could not get a proper stereo image, due to the 20+dB diff around 2.5KHz.)

Yes, Audiometers are well calibrated. Quick-test sets are stable within several dB, which is plenty good for the purpose. Diagnostic sets for prescribing correction now come with a calibration bench (very expensive).

Attachments

• hifi-vs-ears.gif
    hifi-vs-ears.gif
    44.2 KB · Views: 131
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I guess these sorts of test are useful in a limited way. Most people just report "I can hear up to 14 kHz!", or similar. But do you have holes elsewhere, like in the upper midrange? That's common from damage or infections. And what about thresholds? How sensitive is your hearing?

Notice also that these tests do nothing to measure your ability to correctly identify pitch or level changes. Those are both pretty basic skills.

Do you want to check these? High Definition Audio Test Files

The other's are for basic tests

Chirps, sweeps and noises are not so easy to tell. There is a link to "high quality test tone generator" in that page and the 16-bit tone is also undithered.

My suggestion - download Arta, it has a generator of various shapes with save to wav option, generate your own tone and choose dither for 16 bit tone. Much more reliable than online links. Or generate and save in Audacity. Both will be better.

This? Professional Online Audio Frequency Signal Generator I should have been more specific, that's what I meant. I have used it for LF listening tests since the others were audibly inferior. Again, my chromebook limits my options

Yes. I downloaded the basic tone (means I have not checked the 32 bit option) and it is badly dithered or undithered. You do not need the super notebook, just download the file and even the analysis in Audacity should tell. Just analyze the file.

Audacity (R) | Free, open source, cross-platform audio software for multi-track recording and editing.

For real time analysis with a soundcard and loopback measurements, Arta is also free and very good.

ARTA Software

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.