Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

new virus is out
new virus is out
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2004, 11:33 AM   #11
Franklin is offline Franklin
Account Disabled

Even if this alert is bogus, it's obvious that virus attacks or whatever attacks will continue to grow and hit windoozz users. All thanks to good ole Bill who promises a better and stable OS for years now and most users buy that.

I recently moved to Linux SuSE 9.0, 9.1 coming up first week of may and happy to work without a thousand bells and whistles to protect my computer. The build-in firewall2 is more than sufficient, the price is lower and you get hundreds of programs. The best thing I like about Linux is the freedom of choice!

Just my 2 cents.
Old 28th April 2004, 11:41 AM   #12
jan.didden is online now jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Maybe the reason that there are so few (successfull) Linux and Apple virus attacks is because there are so few around that the hackers don't find it worthwhile to go through the effort to find the weak spots?

Jan Didden
Old 28th April 2004, 12:49 PM   #13
Account Disabled

Of course there are more windoozz users than Linux users, but that's not the main reason why hackers are more interested in windoozzz. The file structure of Linux is different and important files are protected. If you want to install or delete a program in Linux you have to enter your root password first. If a hacker has access to a windoozzz computer he also has immediate access to important program and other files. So a virus on Linux has less chance of destroying important files or information.

On my system I login as a normal user with name and password. If I want to install or delete important progams or files situated in the file-structure called "root" I must login with my root password. Now you may find this a time-consuming procedure, but when a program is installed in Linux no reboot is needed. You can use it rightaway.

There's however detailed information on the net which explains it even better than I do.
I'm running my Linux SuSE system for three months now and if you're willing to learn and do things differently and have a choice to do things and arrange your desktop to make it look and feel the way you want it, you're in for a whole new experience.
Old 28th April 2004, 12:50 PM   #14
Schaef is offline Schaef  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklin
Even if this alert is bogus, it's obvious that virus attacks or whatever attacks will continue to grow and hit windoozz users. All thanks to good ole Bill who promises a better and stable OS for years now and most users buy that.

I recently moved to Linux SuSE 9.0, 9.1 coming up first week of may and happy to work without a thousand bells and whistles to protect my computer. The build-in firewall2 is more than sufficient, the price is lower and you get hundreds of programs. The best thing I like about Linux is the freedom of choice!

Just my 2 cents.

I just wanted to jump in and mention a couple of things on this. Keep in mind, I use Linux for my two servers at home, and about half the time on my main home PC, and love it, and will bash MS with the best, but saying that moving from windows will stop the viruses, is only partially correct. Windows gets hit, because its the dominant OS, and its gets all the publicity when problems are found. There are just as many holes, and security issues with Linux. Don't believe me? Just look at the security alerts on the SuSE pages, they're just not as advertised. Also, they're not usually exploited by the latest script viruses released, not to mention most people that run Linux, are not as prone to get viruses even when they run Windows, as they're the ones that are smart enough to not click on all attachments, and things like that.

Once Linux starts gaining a noticeable market share, then we'll start to see viruses and more exploits for Linux.

Quote:
Originally posted by janneman
Maybe the reason that there are so few (successfull) Linux and Apple virus attacks is because there are so few around that the hackers don't find it worthwhile to go through the effort to find the weak spots?

Jan Didden
This is EXACTLY why. It also helps that Linux and macs come locked down, and paranoid, rather than open, and friendly like Windows does. (Mostly because Aunt Bee complains when she has to go explicitly turn something on for her to do her stuff.)

For all those that believe Linux and macs are not vulnerable to viruses and exploits, they'll get their turns, eventually. (Okay, maybe not macs, because they'll never achieve a large market share)
Old 28th April 2004, 01:41 PM   #15
Account Disabled

Schaef,

I didn't say Linux is perfect and we all know that every system or OS can eventually be hacked. What I'm saying is that Linux currently is a saver choice. Another thing is that Linux is Open Source, which means the source-code is freely available and I think that in that sense, hackers are less interested because the challenge is not that strong as it is with windoozz where everything is a big secret. There's no spyware involved in Linux programs while windoozz with it's IE or any other standard program imbedded in the OS rush to their programmed destiny as soon as you're connected to the internet.
Now that's what I call user-friendly!

On the other hand I don't believe in one dominant OS and I don't think Linux aims at becoming such, but given the number new users it's certainly becoming one of the better OSes around with freedom of choice. It's time windoozz starts treating it's users as adults and not as kids who might like the new exciting (buggy) features programmed into XP completely with spyware.
Old 28th April 2004, 03:57 PM   #16
jean-paul is offline jean-paul  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It's time windoozz starts treating it's users as adults and not as kids who might like the new exciting (buggy) features programmed into XP completely with spyware.
It's time adults start to behave like adults when using computers.
Old 28th April 2004, 04:29 PM   #17
Account Disabled

That's possible when adults are given choices and are not forced to use what others think they should use. With micro$oft these choices are definitely limited.

It's like dictatorship which is the friendly face of democracy.

new virus is outHide this!Advertise here!