Can you tell original file from three times DA-AD converted?

Can you tell original file from three times DA-AD converted?

• John is original file

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Paul is original file

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I prefer John by listening

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • I prefer Paul by listening

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Your opinion about the high false response rate in blind listening tests.

Frankly, about 5 years ago and more I did not like DBT listening tests. I have to say that my opinion has changed and I consider them valuable. I think that high rate of false responses is mostly because of missing "aids" and pressure to get oriented only by hearing and nothing else. For the same reasons I find these tests valuable.
The training of the listeners may have influence as well.

Frankly, about 5 years ago and more I did not like DBT listening tests. I have to say that my opinion has changed and I consider them valuable. I think that high rate of false responses is mostly because of missing "aids" and pressure to get oriented only by hearing and nothing else. For the same reasons I find these tests valuable.
The training of the listeners may have influence as well.

I was wondering, as you emphasized the fact "in sighted listening of course" and that seems to me as missing about the same/or nearly same problem under controlled (blind) listening conditions.

That controlled listening tests are a valuable thing is something i´ve written about since roughly 10 years (at least) while hammering on the fact that it isn´t easy to get _correct_ results without taking a lot of precautions.

Your former dislike of "DBTs" might be the reason why you have missed a lot of these discussion (at least it seems to me that you must have missed it).

That´s the reason why i sometimes state that it is as easy to get wrong results with "DBTs" as it is with "sighted listening tests" - wrt the underlying question that should be addressed.

Very easy test, again! John has the best sound and must be the original.

Without ABX. J River MC 64 bits off course (better sound that foobar2000 32 bits in my system).

I already mentioned that it was a very simple test. Anyone who has not overcome it has a problem in their equipment, electrical grid or the lack of optimization of the OS and soft players (much more likely than deafness).

And off course, forget foobbar2000 (32 bits) to enjoy the music! Only as a tool and to play ISO (better sound that JRMC in my system).

foobar2000: Components Repository - ABX Comparator

Version 2.0.4 highlights:

* Made output buffer size configurable through Advanced Preferences, default of 200ms (was 50ms in previous versions), to deal with poor WASAPI performance on some machines.

* Added MMCSS for hopefully improved performance if your computer is under load.

Version 2.0.5 highlights:
* Improved recovery from audio output errors such as device-busy

Current version

2.0.5, released on 2018-07-18
Off course, in foobar2000 and JRMC the buffer is only 50 ms (the sound is better). It is the first optimization to make in good soft players.

Maybe the problem is my system but the sound of foo+ABX was the same that the Lacinato ABX when I made other PMA tests months ago (with ASIO4ALL or Kernel Streaming). With JRMC, without any type of ABX, it was more easy.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
With JRMC, without any type of ABX, it was more easy.
Of course it was - because it's not a blind test. Sighted tests are always easier because we know the answer. I can hear differences with JRiver, too - but they disappear in a blind test. If you are truly honest with yourself, you'll acknowledge that you don't really hear the differences in JRiver, either.

This reminds me of my tests; MP3 320 kbps vs FLAC 16/44, FLAC 16/48, FLAC 16/96, FLAC 24/96 and FLAC 24/192.

Years ago all insisted that they could not be differentiated, when it was very easy to me. What if golden ears and other stupidities.

Going to other people's houses, with much more expensive equipment, and some expensive ones where I was unable to differentiate the music I was playing, MP3 320 kbps vs FLAC 16/44, and when I came back to mine the difference was evident in my two systems.

Evidently, to me, the problem was their equipment, which had to have one or several bottlenecks that prevented to appreciate the difference.

With foobar, better use a sound card with a dedicated ASIO driver, together with installed ASIO component in foobar. With that, it is guaranteed to deliver 100% bit-perfect data (checked with the RME bit test files for the Adi-2 Pro) when volume is at 100% and all options (DSPs, replay gain etc) are set to *off*.
So the only thing left that might be able to cause a difference is amount of jitter on the USB transfer and it is the task of the interface to handle this gracefully -- if not, it's a substandard interface, simple as that. The interface must be clock master, of course. Foobar (or any other player for that matter) has no control over all that, anyway.

Last edited:
By the way,

maty foobar2000 - Google Search

and go to Images too.

I have write a manual to use foobar2000 and others unknown players, like BugHead (not available in open Internet, like my tests and my technical threads about audio). And how to make very good rips too. And a compilation with the old browser K-Meleon (Gecko) with to which I implemented the 1by1 player.

k-meleon nauscopico - Google Search

But of course, I do not know anything at all, all are my imaginations.

So the only thing left that might be able to cause a difference is amount of jitter on the USB transfer and it is the task of the interface to handle this gracefully -- if not, it's a substandard interface, simple as that. The interface must be clock master, of course. Foobar (or any other player for that matter) has no control over all that, anyway.

The last optimizations that I have achieved have been to reduce the jitter generated by the CPU. There is a before and after after getting it.

I have been in it for months. If I optimize excessively the sound ends up being fatiguing.

Before I was excited with few recordings, more for the interpretation (like Nessun dorma by Franco Corelli, 1966) than for the sound quality but now I get it much more often and MORE, which is what really matters to me.

DSP, ony the VST plugin iZotope RX 7 De-Hum.

After the mass I have added at the furniture of my tweaked KEF Q00 5.25" coaxial speakers this summer:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Years ago, before my gadgets to solve my very great problems with the electrical grid. Noise, DC, RF, EMI... until a voltage rise of 400 Vac (Spain: 50 Hz/230 Vac). Luck of the varistors that I implemented in the gadgets.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.