Votes: 5 33.3%
  • I prefer Apricot by listening

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • I prefer Avocado by listening

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK. Please explain what these restriction are, and why they are important.

It would be a waste of time (yours and mine), as you kindly laid out in another thread:

"I've attempted to follow what you are tying to say for years but it is mostly just mud."

and you expressed unlimited confidence that it (never no) couldn´t have beend your fault:

"This isn't our failing, it's yours."

So what about trying an alternative approach, i´ll cite a couple of basic literature about experimental design in general, sensory testing in general and audio testing in specific.
If you have specific questions while studying it, i´ll be happy to help in (non mud? :) ) style of short and precise explanations.

I've noticed in modern life that there is a preponderance of willful ignorance - it seems to me that people cannot make the effort to understand & learn & prefer instead to distrust scientific research without any foundation for such distrust only their cherished beliefs.

Questioning science is at the heart of scientific thought but only when it comes from a position of logic, not willful ignorance.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, that's about the only time you are correct -
At my age I've become very used to being told I'm wrong. It used to bother me; now I just silently grin as time rolls around and I'm shown to be correct. :D All part of life.

But anyway... since apparently people keep "accusing" you of things every time they challenge one of your statements, I'll just stop responding to your posts. Not worth the trouble.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Funny ScottJ, but at some point the discussions just become useless, not worth the trouble. It's just a merry-go-round of different points of view. Makes you dizzy for no good reason.

And yes, I'm wrong about being right. When I turned 50 I told my wife "Dear, I've gotten to the point in a man's life where everything he does or says is wrong." Her reply: "Oh that's completely untrue!" :D These days I just roll with it.

I found the link offering undithered 44.1/16 sound samples for testing (originally from Jakob).

There is a set, even with accompanying sound samples (PEQS) free for download from the EBU:

EBU Technology & Innovation - EBU CDs now online

and the according handbook containing the informations about attributes and sound samples:

https://tech.ebu.ch/docs/tech/tech3287.pdf

the other set more related to technical artefacts is the SQAM programme:

EBU Technology & Innovation - Sound Quality Assessment Material recordings for subjective tests

contains links to the sound samples and the handbook.

Generally the PEQ set is already quite specific and tries to address certain details of a sound event.
It is not so much related to attributes describing the so-called main audio quality. Usually a set of 9-10 attributes is sufficient to describe differences wrt the main audio quality (overall) between DUTs in a meaningful way, but to agree on such a set needs usally a meeting combined with a listening session to work it out.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, that's the one. Jacob is referring to my post #857
What kind of evidence do you consider as sufficient?
I honestly don't understand most of what Jacob posts, and I'm not alone. I was trying to get him to be more clear in his posts.

FWIW, I don't not think mmerril or Jacob are trolls. Jacob's arguments are difficult to understand. Because I disagree almost completely with mmerril I have pointed out how and why I disagree. He has returned the favor.

Trolling is a behaviour, we've probably all done it to some degree, I like to consider myself quite clued up (it's likely I'm not) From here, a link from earlier What is Trolling?

"Some trolls can seem to care about a topic, because they hold extreme views on it, and will hold forth at great length on said topic, in excruciating detail, to anyone who will listen. For days. Weeks. Months. But this is an illusion.

The most striking characteristic of the worst trolls is that their position on a given topic is absolutely written in stone, immutable, and they will defend said position to the death in the face of any criticism, evidence, or reason."

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.