Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Can you tell original file from tube amp record? - test
Can you tell original file from tube amp record? - test
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Which file is the original and which do you prefer
Apricot is the original file 7 46.67%
Avocado is the original file 5 33.33%
I prefer Apricot by listening 7 46.67%
I prefer Avocado by listening 7 46.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old Yesterday, 01:45 AM   #721
johnego is offline johnego  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Or good marketing, or an interest in pushing the boundaries for the fun of it. There is a lot of stuff done for Sh*t and giggles here. Like climbing a mountain some people will do things because they are they to be done.
True. Marketing and fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Not what you said, "people who understand electronics can't hear" is what I saw in that comment.
Not what I meant to say.

There are people who understand electronics well but can not hear details in sound well. And there are people who can hear details in sound well but do not understand electronics well.

(And of course there are those who only like to show that they understand electronics well, out of which you can't learn anything from them). The reason I mention this is because I really appreciate those who understand nothing about electronics but they know something that I might need to know. And too often, both sides cannot see what they don't see.

I think that for people like you or Pavel, your ability to hear details in sound could be the thing that differentiate you with other engineers, I mean in your ability to produce products that can be categorized as 'good sounding product', whatever it means.

We all are familiar with Lin topology. This is not my favorite topology. No amplifiers with this topology that I have heard that can be categorized as great amplifier. But I had a long experiment regarding to this topology until I found one that sound 'different'. I couldn't believe that it could sound the way it does. Of course, lots of prototypes have been done to reach to the sound, but still I don't understand which parameter that makes it sound the way it does. Too many variables (especially inside the transistors itself) and less time to investigate. But of course I need to make preliminary guesses so I can benefit from the phenomenon without having to conduct further experiment right away. I hope what I learn from this amp can be implemented in my other amplifiers.

The goal of the above paragraph is to show how an ability to hear a 'different' in sound could possibly lead to findings (preliminary guesses at the moment) in the form of knowledge to build 'better sounding' amplifiers.
Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM   #722
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

I've often heard it said that things can be heard that can't be measured, but has this been proven within the electrical chain? I accept that moving the speakers or one's listening position will change the sound.
Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM   #723
johnego is offline johnego  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
I've often heard it said that things can be heard that can't be measured, but has this been proven within the electrical chain?
No, I don't think that the statement is really meant to be like that.

The opposite is truer. Differently measured but no change in sound heard.

But the statement might originated from the fact that the sound is different but people don't know how and what to be measured. For example, when our ears hear better intelligibility, what variable has changed? When we hear more 'emotions', what variable has changed? The difficulty is not because nothing changes electrically but because there are so many that changes.
Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM   #724
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnego View Post
The opposite is truer. Differently measured but no change in sound heard.
I've heard that too, I think by the same person in the same sentence

Can you tell original file from tube amp record? - testHide this!Advertise here!