Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Can you tell original file from tube amp record? - test
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Which file is the original and which do you prefer
Apricot is the original file 7 46.67%
Avocado is the original file 5 33.33%
I prefer Apricot by listening 7 46.67%
I prefer Avocado by listening 7 46.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10th December 2018, 01:14 AM   #631
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
First I could not do this either and was really confused. Then I picked up on used level. I was playing it to loud. Then it was easy.
//
Do you know what was distorting?
Old 10th December 2018, 03:39 AM   #632
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmerrill99 View Post
A great example of irony - you try to accuse me of exactly what you demonstrate by this comment
I don't think that word means what you think it means.
Old 10th December 2018, 05:33 AM   #633
johnego is offline johnego  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
an off-line test for the public forum, but even as such it is helpful and interesting to me
Hi Pavel,

I believe that it is more useful to you because mostly you can hear the difference. Reading people's conclusion (that might be right or wrong) is different from listening and experiencing by your own ears.

Once you can hear it, then the next step is to be able to decide whether A is better than B, or not...
Old 10th December 2018, 05:43 AM   #634
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra1 View Post
Seems that not very many members of this forum are interested in the audible effect of phase coherence of audio reproduction chain, even less are those interested in phase of the harmonic distortion.
In my experience, it is very important, especially when everybody else think that it is not so they ignore it in a design and it becomes a 'make or break'.

In the recent test by KSTR I think the only difference between original file and a file going through A-D-A conversion is the phase (?). Pavel could hear the difference between the two files but I believe it is hard to decide which one is better, unless one learn from other experiences such as why the 'thin' sound of original file should be better than the 'detailed and transparent' sound of distorted file.
Old 10th December 2018, 07:21 AM   #635
indra1 is offline indra1  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnego View Post
In my experience, it is very important, especially when everybody else think that it is not so they ignore it in a design and it becomes a 'make or break'.
In the recent test by KSTR I think the only difference between original file and a file going through A-D-A conversion is the phase (?). Pavel could hear the difference between the two files ...
All of amplifiers that I currently use has phase response difference of 10 - 25 between 1kHz and 20kHz. I suspect some difference in spatial information of the presentation, but has not yet arrived at a definite conclusion. Perhaps I will be able to get better understanding once I have an amplifier with less than 1 phase response difference between 1kHz and 20kHz.

However, I found the spatial depth effect of negative 90 2H is easier to perceive with the caveat of what Nelson Pass mentioned about not everyone being able to hear or care about the effect. I hope that other members with experience and trained hearing like Pavel would be interested to look and comment about the effect to advance the understanding a bit further. I would not be surprised if further investigation reveals other explanation or even found the relevant correlation to be something else.
Old 10th December 2018, 08:33 AM   #636
diyAudio Member

Quote:
All of amplifiers that I currently use has phase response difference of 10 - 25 between 1kHz and 20kHz.
I don't think this kind of phase critical. This one is mostly the result of wideband output transistor, correct?
Old 10th December 2018, 09:02 AM   #637
indra1 is offline indra1  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Yes. But it is good to find out for sure.
Old 10th December 2018, 10:02 AM   #638
TNT is online now TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Do you know what was distorting?
My ears most probably. But I will try my DAC/HP amp instead of the laptop one day.

//
Old 10th December 2018, 10:04 AM   #639
TNT is online now TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
All of amplifiers that I currently use has phase response difference of 10 - 25 between 1kHz and 20kHz. I suspect some difference in spatial information of the presentation, but has not yet arrived at a definite conclusion. Perhaps I will be able to get better understanding once I have an amplifier with less than 1 phase response difference between 1kHz and 20kHz.

However, I found the spatial depth effect of negative 90 2H is easier to perceive with the caveat of what Nelson Pass mentioned about not everyone being able to hear or care about the effect. I hope that other members with experience and trained hearing like Pavel would be interested to look and comment about the effect to advance the understanding a bit further. I would not be surprised if further investigation reveals other explanation or even found the relevant correlation to be something else.
Don't bother if don't have very special speakers. Also, this was a varying phase change - that you will not have in an amp.

//
Old 10th December 2018, 10:23 AM   #640
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

The example here with H2 at 100% and same amplitude as base frequency is an extreme. I doubt that after reducing H2 to 0.7% max. as in the fruit test the phase change of H2 would be audible. And it is not changing in the amplifier under test, as TNT has correctly stated.

I did a phase test recently, anyone interested may try again.

Audibility of allpass phase distortion (test)

Can you tell original file from tube amp record? - testHide this!Advertise here!