Dedicated 120v circuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I’m not sure if this is a bad idea or not and I couldn’t find anything on the web addressing it.

If I have time this weekend I’m going to run a dedicated recepticle for my stereo. The general consensus online is that 10ga is preferred. But I already have a few long spools of 12ga Romex.

Would running a dual run of 12ga wire coming from one breaker going to one recepticle be a bad idea in any way? Or should I just buy a roll of 10ga?

Thanks

Disclaimer: I believe you are wasting your time.

14ga is for 15A, 12ga is for 20A. What I would do is make a 20A circuit: 20A breaker, 12ga wire, and 20A outlet. Buy the BIGGEST outlet box your hardware store has. If you run 10ga wire, you will have trouble bending and terminating to a duplex receptacle and may crack it (ask me how I know).

Last edited:
It is a good idea to have a circuit dedicated solely for audio / video and Computers. You turn the breaker off during a storm and hope things won't explode. Well .. don't forget to unscrew the antennas also, unless You have fibre (electrical non conductive) TV.
As far as gauge concerns, I would use 2.5sqmm (Europe standard for 16A) as cable is cheap and it doesn't hurt.

I’m not sure pulling two runs to a split wired receptacle meets code. I know it requires a common trip 2 pole breaker. Might also require that all wires be within the same cable or conduit. It would make it more idiot proof for someone working on it later. 12/3 with gnd is typically what is used for those outlets.

#10 is a pain to work with. Doesn’t fit most outlets, and when I’ve had to use it for length reasons (over 100 feet) I ended up using #12 pig tails to each receptacle and wire nutting the two 12’s and the 10 together.

Make sure you also use a 20A receptacle or you will be breaking code. Make sure you pull permit, get inspected, etc. as needed to keep insurance company happy.

In the states, a 15A receptacle on a 20A circuit is acceptable. Very common in fact; kitchen and bathroom by code are 20A circuits, and you almost never see a 20A receptacle there.

Need for an inspector/permit is location-specific; some jurisdictions require it, others not.

a] It's not permitted to parallel conductors. That is connected together at the start of the run and connected together at the end of the run.
b] It's best to try to shorten the length of the Safety Ground wire from hi-fi component. So only use one run to the hi-fi room.
c] One 12AWG, 15 or 20 Amp run will power a very large home theater system.
d] It's time to move on to more important things.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
15A receptacle on larger wire is perfectly acceptable for "general outlets". Up to the gauge limit on the receptacle.

Paralleling cable "is" legal in specific situations which are NOT what you are doing. (Think large factories and engineer sign-off.)

Two cables *with two neutrals* to two receptacles is quite legal, but NOT what you want. Keep all your gear on the same line (up to systems far larger than a house).

Two circuits to a single receptacle invokes a real safety risk and a dense clause in NEC.

#14 (15A) wire was common past 1960.

I know of very few home systems which can't be fine on #14. Audio peaks do not come from the line but from the soup-can caps in the amplifier.

For sonics..... the blue-logo home-store's wire is more soothing, the orange-logo home-store's wire is more jazzy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.