Deeply discharged car battery - basic questions (no charger around).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No one has asked why conventional cars with conventional batteries (worth the redundancy, no electric cars or hybrids here) do not yet incorporate lithium-ion batteries ?

I have to admit that I do not know the exact answer, but I imagine .........

That's a funny question considering I can start my car with a LI battery the size of a paperback book (that costs $7 in China).

EDIT - Web says CCA (cold cranking amps) rating.

Last edited:
The power reserve of the battery is given by its capacity to deliver amps, (AMP / H) you can continue with 12 volts without problems.
But if we want Lithium Ion Batteries to replace the lead /acid ones we need big physical sizes to provide those necessary amps for for example, thermal lunettes, lighter, starter engine, etc (all of high consumption) I am not sure what happens with those of loading and unloading times once it has been downloaded.
That is, a fast charge in a Lithium Ion battery would ruin it, is not it? The conventional ones support more abuses, IMHO.
I observe that all modern vehicles have not seen an increase in the size of their batteries, I would think that it is the other way around, an LED luminaire consumes much less current than a conventional filament, both computerized security systems (ABS, EBD, etc.) as the connectivity (LED screens, Bluetooth,) are all low power systems.
In summary, I believe that the problem would be only with the audio fans and their amplifiers of tremendous power. But I do not take care of this, I just listen to the radio and the odd CD in my car ...

Account Closed
Joined 2001
Sorry, too cryptic, I don't get it.

An old-style charger is not encumbered by super-duper battery management chips, smart-charging techniques, etc, etc. And they don't have the annoying habit of popping the inline fuse when connected to a really dead battery.
Also, a battery that's not too far gone with sulfation can be brought back to the living (at least for awhile) by using an old-style charger, initially.

That old charger might sit there for fifteen years collecting dust, but a day might come when it comes in extremely handy.

BTW, I love your tagline.

Dave.

My $0.25:
1. Consider a LA battery desulfator. I used a small $15 charger-desulfator from Amazon to bring a couple SLAs back t life.
2. Vehicles with modern electronics draw 50 or 100 mA just sitting there. So if it sits for 3 months, the battery gives out.
3. I recently resurrected a diesel farm truck that was completely dead (4x6V in series-parallel). Again, having sat for about a year. We overheated a 200A charger (c/w wheels, recovered later) but what worked was boosting from a running pick-up after the charger gave out. My only explanation is that the scale of vehicle battery currents can be 1000Amps, and 6 gauge cable just don't cut it.
4. LA batteries seem to loose conductance along with voltage, so the (charging) voltage settles down after the battery comes back to life.
5. My impression is that LA batteries should never be deep-discharged since they loose more than charge, which means that only the top ~1/4 of their Ahr rating is useful.

Last edited:
why the battery is dead in the first place. A battery in good condition should easily last more than a month in a parked car and still be able to start it.

As mentioned earlier electronics in many new-ish US vehicles continue to run maintenance functions even when everything appears to be shut down. At least that's how Ford explained it to me after two weeks in which my Expedition was garaged.

I like the idea of a Li emergency package which can be plugged into the cigarette lighter. (Ford's still have cigarette lighters but no ash-trays.)

Last edited:
I had to scroll a long way down that PDF to get to the photo of that blown up battery. A clearer photo was on the web at the time it happened and before the report came out. I took a sneaky screen grab of it so for if you can'i be bothered here it is.

Attachments

• duff_battery.jpeg
    duff_battery.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 131
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.