Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Do you like tube distortion? - listening test
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Which of the files you prefer by listening?
I prefer ella1 but I do not have an ABX result 6 50.00%
I prefer ella2 but I do not have an ABX result 5 41.67%
I prefer ella1 and I do have an ABX result 1 8.33%
I prefer ella2 and I do have an ABX result 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th November 2018, 06:55 AM   #51
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Very good, so would you be willing to make a Foobar ABX test and post a protocol? It should be very easy for you, in case you clearly hear a difference. I am still waiting for a first positive ABX protocol. It is very easy to make the test.
Old 9th November 2018, 09:59 AM   #52
ivanlukic is offline ivanlukic  Serbia
diyAudio Member

OK. I downloaded foobar but can't find ABX option.
Old 9th November 2018, 01:48 PM   #53
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

You have to install the plugin. Once that's done put two files in your playlist, select both, right click on them and the ABX option will be in the drop down menu.
Old 9th November 2018, 03:33 PM   #54
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

This one:

foobar2000: Components Repository

Select (highlight) the tracks you want to ABX and do as Pano says and right click the highlighted selection.

When you have done, highlight the tracks again and right click and 'Remove' them (removes them from Foobar only).

(I got 100% on this, good eh )
Attached Images
File Type: png Annotation.png (223.2 KB, 124 views)
File Type: png Annotation2.png (90.5 KB, 121 views)
File Type: png Annotation3.png (41.6 KB, 120 views)
File Type: png Annotation4.png (43.5 KB, 122 views)
Old 9th November 2018, 04:31 PM   #55
w5jag is offline w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

I downloaded the files, and played each file one time through the computer speakers at my desk. A couple of seconds into #2, I was certain it sounded "better."

I waited an hour, did it again - played each file one time, and can't say one sounded any different from the other.

Win W5JAG
Old 9th November 2018, 04:45 PM   #56
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w5jag View Post

I waited an hour, did it again - played each file one time, and can't say one sounded any different from the other.

Win W5JAG
Thank you for giving it a try - this is a very usual situation
Old 9th November 2018, 05:21 PM   #57
traderbam is offline traderbam  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
Yes of course. Since some time, I always do it. I was NOT able to tell the difference in a DBT. However, I am not going to post original file at the moment, as it always invokes sighted impressions. It may happen, if there will be participants interested, that after the poll expiration I may prepare 3 files: original, wire and tube. I need then all of them to have exactly same size. The equal size is one of the reasons I post wire x tube and not original x tube. People would take any measures to guess which is which.
Is the recording you used the same as the one I posted in #2?
If not then I'll wait until/if you post the one you used as input. I just wanted to explain why I can hear a difference.
Old 10th November 2018, 04:36 PM   #58
maty tinman is offline maty tinman  Spain
diyAudio Member

Default Harmonics monotonic decrease with moderate THD = "natural" sound

Hugh (AKSA):

Aksa Lender P-mos Hybrid Aleph (ALPHA) Amplifier

Quote:
Lastly, the harmonic profile has been thrown into prominence in the last ten years, but in fact has been pivotal for good sound and Jean Hiraga demonstrated this in Le Revue du Son in Paris in the mid-sixties. He said that if you can arrange the first five or six harmonics off the fundamental along a straight, descending line, with at least 10dB reduction with successive higher harmonic, the sound will be perceived as 'natural'. H2 should start no higher than 68dB down from the fundamental.

This was a controversial statement at the time, and even now, because it pays little regard for THD, which is a rms summation of the harmonic percentages of the fundamental, with no information about each actual harmonic.

I have been designing amps using this philosophy for twenty years, and if you give regard to the monotonic decrease of the harmonics and a moderate THD (no more than 0.03%) you can create a good sounding amplifier.

There are other issues, of course, but it certainly explains why many amps with very low THD still do not sound good. The fact that this is a subjective assessment, and humans enjoy squabbling about the subjectives has only clouded high end. During the eighties the Japanese opened up the 'THD Wars', to very little benefit. Still a lot of people like single ended triode amplifiers, and they deliver outrageous THD figures...

Last edited by maty tinman; 10th November 2018 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11th November 2018, 09:56 PM   #59
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, the Aska quote above nicely describes harmonic masking. of which Jean Hiraga has ling been an advocate. E.G. Hiraga loads the 300B at 2.5K not because the distortion is lower than a higher impedance load, but because the harmonic structure is more favorable and less audible.

The interesting thing about the tube buffer distortion added to the test file is that it appears to consist of only H2 and H3, nothing more. And yet no one has reliably heard it on this re-recording. It would still be interesting to test it with a clean violin or cello recording.
Old 11th November 2018, 10:13 PM   #60
maty tinman is offline maty tinman  Spain
diyAudio Member

Talking about Hiraga...

JLH 10 watts - Hiraga 20 watts - sx 15 watts. At 8 Ohms, 20 kHz.

Hifisonix kx-Amplifier

Click the image to open in full size.

Do you like tube distortion? - listening testHide this!Advertise here!