Question about DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
this is probably a silly question although it's been bugging me as of late. I recently aquired two pieces of equipment. The first being an RME ADI-2 PRO fs(new version with femto clock), and the other I just purchased is the new minidsp SHD . Now heres the rub... after purchasing the mini DSP I discovered that it uses the exact same AD/DA chipset that the RME uses. Would it be safe to say that these are pretty much going to sound the same, in terms of AD/DA sound quality? (Because I'm still able to return the rme and save a a couple thousand dollars if that's going to be the case) or would i see an improvement using the RME as ADC and my pair of musical fidelity m6s DACs to convert back to analog and then into my preamp , and so on
.. I originally bought the RME to use strictly as an analog digital converter because I was looking for a very high quality ADC to convert the sound from my technics sp 1200 Grand Anniversary edition (GAE) turntable AND Vincent audio phono preamp combo to convert to digital in order to be able to apply dirac live room EQ and then of course go back to analog and preamp/amps/speakers, etc. So can there be a major difference in sound ?
Now I'm not asking anyone to tell me which will sound better than the other... I know no one can decide that but me , what I'm asking is does anyone have experience with this ...in other words two machines, made by two different manufacturers, in the same price range and implementing the same DAC or ADC chipset...but one sound considerably better than the other. Like I said probably a silly question. Its amazing the silly things we tend to obsess over in this audio hobby.....;) Sorry to waste anyones time....but i am just curious....

In which case I would have to say the RME. It uses An external " two part smps, with built in regulator and built in noise suppression...which is kind of okayish...but there is a reason for that choice of power source for its dc input. According to RME, the main unit also has an internally switching regulator with high efficiency (> 90%) that switches at ultra high frequency far above audible spectrum to remove any audible hum or noise and then the switching regulator is followed by a second standard stage linear regulator, followed by a third stage of super low-noise linear regulators. "Therefore the ADI-2 Pro achieves its technical specs even with even less than optimal power supplies. Or in other words: the choice of power supply is not critical." But it also says if one prefers to run in "isolation" mode, they have a cable that can be connected to an 10000mah battery pack which of course is all sold separately.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.