Did You give focusrite permission to come inside your home or studio???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
UPDATE 2019:As per request, Focusrite has removed section 2.2 from their consumer product software agreement for the basic Windows Clarett drivers.

Thanks to everyone who read or supported this post, the point was to take action (we did and it worked), and to encourage everyone to speak up IF and WHEN they feel any issue is worth the time.

In 2018, For anyone preparing to purchase a Focusrite product, look what was found in the License Agreement.

"2.2 You must permit the Licensor and his representatives, at all reasonable times and on reasonable advance notice, to inspect and have access to any premises, and to the computer equipment located there, at which the Software or the Documentation is being kept or used, and any records kept pursuant to this Licence, for the purpose of ensuring that you are complying with the terms of this Licence."

Do not put up with this at all!! Challenge your beliefs when your audio interface provider tells you when they are coming in to your personal safe zone.

Privacy & Cookie Policy | Focusrite

Last edited:
Joined 2011
You must permit the Licensor and his representatives, at all reasonable times and on reasonable advance notice, to inspect and have access to any premises, and to the computer equipment located there, at which the Software or the Documentation is being kept or used, and any records kept pursuant to this Licence, for the purpose of ensuring that you are complying with the terms of this Licence."

Unbelievable, why would anybody buy anything from this company?

The mass acceptance of such a gimmick is not the standard. I realize I'm taking this quite literally, but I think Emerson and Thoreau would advise guard against the acceptance of language like this. In an audio product? No, it does not belong here.

Last edited:
Where have you all been the last 30 years? I'm 34.

I think this deserves attention, and I would like to spread the word and exercise the public's ability to demand that this wording be reconstructed to define a software pirate as the object of a CIVIL lawsuit. Focusrite's wording of section 2.2 fails to show acknowledgement of corporate restraint. All companies must obtain a Search Warrant and Subpoena to proceed with a possible case of software policy fraud/infringement.

correction.

"2.2 You must permit the Licensor and his representatives, at all reasonable times and on reasonable advance notice, to inspect and have access to any premises, and to the computer equipment located there, at which the Software or the Documentation is being kept or used, and any records kept pursuant to this Licence, for the purpose of ensuring that you are complying with the terms of this Licence."
Privacy & Cookie Policy | Focusrite

'...You must permit the Licensor and representatives...access to premises and any orifice. Any individual whom refuses to comply shall be arrested per authority as granted in the NDAA, strip-searched, bound, flogged, interrogated with the aid of waterboarding and sleep-deprivation, and presented with the possibility of a conditional release pursuant to the satisfaction of our suspicions and the signing of a non-disclosure agreement.'

Heil Fukitrite
DMCA Operations

I think this deserves attention, and I would like to spread the word and exercise the public's ability to demand that this wording be reconstructed to define a software pirate as the object of a CIVIL lawsuit. Focusrite's wording of section 2.2 fails to show acknowledgement of corporate restraint. All companies must obtain a Search Warrant and Subpoena to proceed with a possible case of software policy fraud/infringement.

I'm also 34. Have you ever read any of the waivers for sports activities/etc? They're laughably indefensible as well. This is "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing" to steal from one of our famous British brethren.

You don't buy software; you pay for permission to use it in accordance with a licence agreement. You also give them permission to check that you are sticking to your side of the bargain. Seems reasonable to me.

Some software agreements do contain unreasonable clauses, but most of these get noticed and publicised (eventually). These are usually of the type 'you grant us rights to use all the works you produce using our software'.

I'm 34.....I'm also 34.

I'm nearly twice that. I have a Focusrite interface because it's good and just works right. Yes, they have the right to raid my computer, but they won't. They won't find anything worth seeing if they do.

The feds have the right to raid my house to "inspect the station" since I have a ham radio license. They won't unless I turn into a big time radio pirate in my old age. They never could stop the pirate stations in Florida, so even that may be safe.

Microsoft, Apple Google and Amazon probably do more spying than either Focusrite or the feds. Whether they do it legally or not, who knows.

Read the agreement you sign to host photos on Google's cloud. You give them the right to use your photos for anything that they want.......that scares me more than Focusrite. One of my photos could be legally used in a Google advert......if that happened who would then own the copyright on that photo? I do not use anyone's cloud hosting for this reason. I use my iCloud only for passing data between the iPAD and my PC, then delete the data from the iCloud.

Don't post anything that you don't want copied to any web site even with a copyright notice. Remember the musicians that had their own works seized and held for ransom by Apple since it was cataloged by iTunes but did not have DRM? That noise just quietly went away, I never could find out how it was settled. I'm guessing that the settlement included an NDA.

My crude attempts at making music reside on a separate computer that is not normally connected to the web (no WiFi, Ethernet unplugged). That's also where the Focusrite interface resides. Many DAW's recommend this, and usually provide a means for licensing without a direct connection to the internet on the studio PC.

Have you ever read any of the waivers for sports activities/etc?

Check out the waiver for an obstacle course race like Tough Mudder or Sparton. The Tough Mudder agreement makes it your fault if you die even if their obstacle breaks.

Just to be sure Tubelab, we're on the same page, and essentially they'll claim all these things in a user agreement, but they don't mean much in reality when tested. E.g. your Tough Mudder example, if you do something incredibly dumb and deliberately misuse their equipment and get hurt, their waiver might stand, if they do something wrong, it's going to fall on them. Those waivers are generally not worth the paper they're made of.

EULA's are similar. Focusrite is going to have a *heck* of a time justifying coming into your house without finding some major major major illegal activity there. Otherwise they'll get sued out of their mind for intrusion/etc.

That's all :)

I have run a Tough Mudder event a few times, and found some of the obstacles in poor shape. I didn't run the event a few days ago, but went to take pictures. One of the obstacles broke down leaving a jagged piece of metal protruding after being snagged on a participant's clothing. Fortunately the clothing ripped rather than the participant being dragged under water. The obstacle was rigged with some sheet rock screws and duck tape and reopened. YouTube videos revealed that the entire rotating assembly had been replaced during or after Saturday's race, as a new one was in place for Sunday.

In 2013 a participant in a West Virginia Tough Mudder event was killed after "walking the plank" into muddy water and having more participants jump in on top of him. The safety workers were slow to respond and could not locate the person in the muddy water for several minutes. The case was settled out of court for an undisclosed sum. There have been no Tough Mudder events in West Virginia since then.

The current deep water obstacles use bright green water making it easier to find someone under water. The announcer gives a safety briefing to the participants at the start of each wave, and a strong warning not to participate in a water obstacle if you can't swim and avoid the electric shock obstacle if you are subject to seizures or have a heart condition. Some people who shouldn't run, will anyway. Still, there is risk involved, and the disclaimer runs 3 pages long outlining most of those risks.

In the end, if something bad happens two sides will head toward court and none of that matters. Either it will be settled out of court, or a jury will decide who has the best story. The difference since the 2013 incident is the fact that a sizable percentage of participants are wearing GoPro cameras and there is plenty of footage (evidence) to be found on Youtube.

Back to the thread topic.....

One of the more popular DAW's is FL Studio (formerly Fruity Loops until the cereal company decided otherwise) from Image Line. Several idiots have been known to pirate the software and then post a video of them using it on YouTube. FL Studio has one of the most liberal licensing agreements, but the name used to license the software is displayed on the home screen. Post a video with someone else's user name, and you WILL hear from Image Line. They obviously troll Youtube looking for such violations. One popular Youtube poster got caught, twice.......Dude, if you are making money with the software.....BUY IT!!!

Attachments

• P1930304_x.jpg
    P1930304_x.jpg
    495.5 KB · Views: 213
  • Hammer_x.jpg
    Hammer_x.jpg
    597 KB · Views: 214
  • ScrewGun.jpg
    ScrewGun.jpg
    638 KB · Views: 216

They are only trying to protect their IP from theft. If you don't want to use their software, don't. Solves the problem immediately.

This is illigal in the EU, even when it's in the licence agreement. The only way to force yourself in a home or computer of a customer is when a judge has enough proof of a crime and gives the police a search warant for this. That condition in a licence agreement is not valid because it violate the privacy laws in the EU, wich are above these kind of agreements, even if you sign them.

I know that it's in a lot of licence agreements, but it already has been declared illigal several times for other software companies in the past, when they tried to use that agreement in court.

Interesting.
I've been studying Sargent's 1958 book on behavior modification and brain washing.
(The method you quoted is intended to increase anxiety and feelings of helplessness.)
He was impressed with Pavlov's work and expanded it to humans.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20180922_0008 (2).png
    wp_ss_20180922_0008 (2).png
    37 KB · Views: 138
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.