Using DC current through a toroidal transformer to speed up interconnect burn-in.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Never hang cables vertically, the electrons have mass and will spill out on the floor or gather in bulge at the end if you capped them. Either way, you're left with a few electrons short of a load, or a saggy cable with a bulge. Lay cables flat to ensure cable "wellness" the way nature intended.

Last edited:
The magnetic field strength is directly proportional to current. If you really want to burn a cable in quickly dispense with any transformer core altogether and connect one end to the plus terminal of your car battery and the other end to the minus. Stand back and watch the show. Get video.

I suppose my lab tech had the wrong cable connected up to the Vdet output of the RF amp he was testing yesterday - meter was reading no output. Must have been hanging in the wrong direction and all the conductive electrons fell out of the BNC connector. Better get back to the lab and pick them all up before somebody steps on them - or worse - contaminate the water in the wafer fab.

The magnetic field strength is directly proportional to current. If you really want to burn a cable in quickly dispense with any transformer core altogether and connect one end to the plus terminal of your car battery and the other end to the minus. Stand back and watch the show. Get video.

I still advocate the use of a set of batteries hooked up to each cable. A small DC current is enough to make sure any old tired electrons are pushed out and replaced by shiny new ones.
Since audio is all AC current, all we're doing is jiggling the same old electrons around. Batteries use chemistry to release new electrons into the cables, giving your old system new life!

Now, the treble sparkles, there's midrange detail like never before, and there's even that elusive bass suppleness when the recording allows it.

... Sarcasm aside, I could probably sell this stuff.

Chris

Suzy is a smart girl but I think life way out west has done her head in :eek:

BTW Suzy, congratulations on your, 20 yrs, I've just completed 30 in the same enterprise.

It's the red dirt - you never can get it out.

It's a neat mob to work for - has let me tick a pile of boxes on the bucket list. I'm hoping to tick the klystron box in the next few months too...

I'm actually originally from over your way - worked as a tech a couple of valleys south of you many years ago, while there was still stuff down there.

It's the red dirt - you never can get it out.

It's a neat mob to work for - has let me tick a pile of boxes on the bucket list. I'm hoping to tick the klystron box in the next few months too...

Expensive cantankerous beasts. I only know of one 20KW bottle near you. May be a part of our family soon. You moving?

I'm actually originally from over your way - worked as a tech a couple of valleys south of you many years ago, while there was still stuff down there.

Wow, blast from the past. We had heaps of those guys on our site after the closures. Good friends, good stories. They've all retired now.

All the best.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.