How to duplicate a free handed wood piece

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need to make 4 identical mouldings that look about like the attached picture to fit in the corners of a table. Assuming I can freehand the first one from a print-out taped onto a piece of wood and a jigsaw, router and a sander... What would be the best way to copy it 3 more times?

Would a rough outside cut with a jigsaw and then using a flushcut router bit do it?
Thanks.
--
Danny

Attachments

• moulding.jpg
    moulding.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 156
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Make the first one as a prototype with ply or mdf, and then use it to cut the four proper versions once you're happy with the shape.

Roughcutting and then using the router is fine, but you may need to think about sharp internal corners, as the round bit will not get into them.

When all the pieces are cut, clamp them together for any final shaping and sanding required. It gives a more stable base and they will all end up being more consistent.

Good luck :)

Ok, more details that I forgot to put in.

That piece is going to be make out of solid oak. Here it's sold by the board foot at 3/4" widths. So I can't really make one that is 4x as thick and cut it up.

The piece is going to be about 6" x 4" x 3/4".

pinkmouse: thanks for the tips. i don't think that the corners will be that sharp.

till: i don't think i can put 4 planks together reliably and cut them on a bandsaw. Even then I'd have to finish them still.

Thanks.

EDIT: sorry pinkmouse, I just realized what you said about the sharp internal corners. The picture is a clip of the CAD blueprint of the table I just cut out of my other window. the horizontal and vertical lines are the table, the curved part is supposed to fit into that corner on the table so it won't have a sharp corner like that.
--
Danny

Take Pinkmouse's recommendations. What he suggests will work just fine. Make a template out of a thin piece of plywood, rough cut, then using a flush trimming bit to cut to the exact shape. The only difficulties you'll have will be attaching the template, (double-sided tape works well) and holding the piece still while routing. (non-skid mats work great for this)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.