Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

S-Video to big TV
S-Video to big TV
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2018, 02:22 PM   #1
leadbelly is online now leadbelly  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default S-Video to big TV

So, I would like to spend a maximum of $15-$20 to try to connect my old SD satellite receiver to my 60" plasma and try to get the best picture possible. It has composite and s-video output only.

As for the "stop just there and buy a used HD satellite receiver" comments, just bear with me, it's not that easy, and since I already have 4 SD receivers, I will always have at least 1 hooked up to a modern TV for years to come.

I believe s-video will give the best picture out of the receiver, better than composite. There are various inexpensive boxes I can try to convert from s-video to an input on the TV.

This one does s-video to VGA, about $CDN14:
1 Video S Video zu VGA Konverter AV Kabel Wandler Adapter fur Monitor Kamera ~~ | eBay

This one does s-video to HDMI, about $CDN20:
1080P AV S-Video To HDMI Audio Converter With USB Cable For HDTV DVD J1O6 X H4Q8 | eBay

This one is SCART to HDMI, about $CDN13:
SCART to HDMI Digital Video Audio Upscale Converter Adapter 1080P HD TV | eBay

The SCART to HDMI looks most attractive on paper, but wondering if there might be some hidden issues such as it doesn't support the s-video portion of the SCART standard, or doesn't handle NTSC well, etc.

For the s-video to HDMI adapter, since it looks cheap compared to its competitors, I would be worried that it simply did not work as advertised.

Any input appreciated, whether based on experience, or just general knowledge of video technology.
Prove all things 1 Thessalonians 5:21
Old 8th February 2018, 02:39 PM   #2
Samsara is offline Samsara  France
diyAudio Member

Hello.
S-Video is better than composite.
What is the input of your TV ?
Old 8th February 2018, 03:48 PM   #3
lcsaszar is offline lcsaszar  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Hello, sorry for threadjacking. I have the opposite problem: HDMI out to SCART (RGB) or to S-Video (or to CVBS in ultimate case). What can I use?
Old 8th February 2018, 06:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You can use real HDMI to RGB converter but beware, HDMI have copy protection.
Maybe cheap converters don't manage it, you can find HDMI to YUV or to SCART (no RGB, only videocomposite) for 10 in Aliexpress.
Old 9th February 2018, 03:22 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

This is the back of the TV:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back of lg 60.jpg (293.7 KB, 29 views)
Old 9th February 2018, 04:04 AM   #6
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

S-Video to big TV
S-Video is only better than composite if the comb filter in the receiver isn't great. Most aren't great. Since the SD satellite signal is probably composite anyway (over the air was) it's going to depend on where the better filter is, the satellite box or the TV. And if your TV has no analog inputs then you are at the mercy of cheap convertors. Your TV has no analog inputs at all?
EDIT: Just saw the pic.
Old 9th February 2018, 04:31 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
S-Video is only better than composite if the comb filter in the receiver isn't great. Most aren't great. Since the SD satellite signal is probably composite anyway (over the air was) it's going to depend on where the better filter is, the satellite box or the TV. And if your TV has no analog inputs then you are at the mercy of cheap convertors. Your TV has no analog inputs at all?
Both composite and component analog inputs as in picture.

I just tried composite today. Looks mediocre with noticeable pixelation.

I am thinking the s-video to VGA is the safest of the cheap converters. I see the SCART-to-HDMI and s-video-to-HDMI boxes as being higher risk. I am not finding any inexpensive s-video-to-component boxes.

Last edited by leadbelly; 9th February 2018 at 04:34 AM.
Old 9th February 2018, 07:32 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Maybe you will have better quality with CVBS input to your TV than use cheap converter to YUV or HDMI.
YC to HDMI
1080P AV and S Video To HDMI Audio Adapter Converter For HDTV DVD-in Audio & Video Cables from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
YC to YUV Composite S-Video to Component Video RGB Sync On Green Converter

S-Video to big TVHide this!Advertise here!