Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Possible to hack A/V receiver sound field settings?
Possible to hack A/V receiver sound field settings?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2018, 06:35 PM   #1
curtis73 is offline curtis73  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to curtis73
Default Possible to hack A/V receiver sound field settings?

I have a project coming up that has a budget of $0 and I need an amp. Long story.

I have a Sony STR-DE625 A/V receiver collecting dust. It is 100x2 stereo, 100x5 surround. I'm powering four cabinets and if I put them on A+B outputs, my guess is that I'll be splitting 100x2 among the 4 cabinets.

Cabinets are Peavey SP-3G 18" PA speakers times 4. 8ohm and rated 300wrms. They need a bit more than 50w each. I think 100w each will do the trick... barely.

How would you do it... run 2 of them parallel on each channel to get 4 ohm and draw a little more output from the receiver. Will the receiver even be happy at 4 ohms?

Or is there a way to hack the sound field settings and be able to use the other 100-watt channels without a sound field. In effect, turn it into a 5 channel amp without the FX?
Old 16th January 2018, 06:52 PM   #2
wcwc is offline wcwc  United States
diyAudio Member

Won't matter much. The 100x5 is a fallacy. The power you can get out of it is limited by the power supply. All the amp channels share the same power supply. Since you have the amp, I would hook up all 4 binding posts for Front A and B (if you can you play A + B together). The amp will see a 4 ohm load. Keep the switch on the back of the receiver on 8 ohms (setting to 4 ohms will limit power from the amplifier). Receivers have protection circuits which shutdown the amp if it draws too much current. Give it a try.
Old 16th January 2018, 07:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you. Makes sense.
Old 18th January 2018, 12:45 AM   #4
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

You can use 4 channels of amp by using the 5.1 inputs. Left source to LF and LR and the same for the right source. Only need 2 Y cables and turn off all processing and use Direct mode if the amp has it.

This way you use 4 power amps instead of trying to have low impedance loads on the 2 channel power amps. Most HT amps do not like 4R loads.
Old 18th January 2018, 12:59 AM   #5
Soldermizer is offline Soldermizer  United States
diyAudio Member

Two worries! First, is a suggestion above to parallel two or more outputs to drive on speaker? Usually that is not recommended is it? And for just running two speakers per output, more normal, but a valid question if the amp will drive a 4 ohm load. My budget Sherwood doesn't want under 6 ohms.
Old 18th January 2018, 02:02 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I don't think the amp has 5.1 inputs. If it did that would be a better choice.

All AV amps can drive a 4 ohm load up to a point. At low levels there shouldn't be an issue. At high levels there will most likely be an issue. The amp has A and B front inputs which both can be on at the same time. I have done it many times on my Marantz AVR and Yamaha integrated amp without any issues.
Old 18th January 2018, 09:09 AM   #7
Samsara is offline Samsara  France
diyAudio Member

Hello.
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73 View Post
I have a Sony STR-DE625 A/V receiver collecting dust. It is 100x2 stereo, 100x5 surround. I'm powering four cabinets and if I put them on A+B outputs, my guess is that I'll be splitting 100x2 among the 4 cabinets.

Cabinets are Peavey SP-3G 18" PA speakers times 4. 8ohm and rated 300wrms. They need a bit more than 50w each. I think 100w each will do the trick... barely.

How would you do it... run 2 of them parallel on each channel to get 4 ohm and draw a little more output from the receiver. Will the receiver even be happy at 4 ohms?

Or is there a way to hack the sound field settings and be able to use the other 100-watt channels without a sound field. In effect, turn it into a 5 channel amp without the FX?
No problem if you don't need to sound a stadium.
Your Peavey have 100dB/watt.
Your amplifier have 5.1 input, so can be used as power amplifier (but volume knob is active) .
Just plug any cabinet to Front and Rear output, disable sound effect, thats all.
Old 18th January 2018, 12:49 PM   #8
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

The manual has the 5.1 inputs.

Sony STR-DE675 - Manual - Digital AV Control Center - HiFi Engine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sony_de625.jpg (64.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 18th January 2018, 01:24 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

He has the STR-DE625 which didn't appear to have the 5.1 inputs when I looked online. I checked the dimensions diagram on Sony's website which doesn't have 5.1 inputs shown, but they have a photocopied manual which shows the 5.1 inputs. I agree that if they are there it is best to use the 5.1 inputs.

Last edited by wcwc; 18th January 2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 18th January 2018, 05:52 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I just checked. My sony does have the 5.1 inputs.

The project is to make magic happen with duct tape. I'm a TD for a theater and we're doing a musical in our black box which is 50x60' and 26' barrel ceiling. So the space isn't huge. The four SP-3G speakers are ridiculous overkill for this space. I could easily get by with four 10" two-way cabinets and a small sub, but the budget is next to nothing so I'm using what I have.

I'm only amplifying 6 vocal mics and a keyboard (there is percussion and electric guitar, but the percussion doesn't need help and the guitar will have its own amp). So for this production, I think the Sony should get me through. I have written a grant to buy "real" audio stuff but I won't know until about March if it gets awarded. Once I get the funds I will likely liquidate the inappropriate stuff and start from scratch; Crown amps, buy four good 10" or 12" cabinets and fab up an 18" sub.

So I think I'll grab some of these (or make some)

Click the image to open in full size.

Then it will be as easy as using the 16x4 snake to get signal backstage. I plan on hooking it all up and abusing it as my shop radio for a while to make sure it doesn't trip into thermal safety or anything. I can't have it giving up on me halfway through the performances. If it can stand 8 hours a day of the classic rock station, it can handle a couple hours of vocal mics.

Last edited by curtis73; 18th January 2018 at 06:05 PM.

Possible to hack A/V receiver sound field settings?Hide this!Advertise here!