Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Home with NO Ground in Electrical Installation
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd December 2017, 07:34 PM   #21
FullRangeMan is offline FullRangeMan  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Thanks boys for your concerns on general security.
I would like appreciate which grounding schema my SE tube amp should have inside the chassis?
Happy Christmas
Old 23rd December 2017, 02:43 AM   #22
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullRangeMan View Post
...which grounding schema my SE tube amp should have inside the chassis?...
Same as any other.
Old 25th December 2017, 03:25 AM   #23
FullRangeMan is offline FullRangeMan  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Nooo!! I cant do anything in the circuit to help?
Anyway thanks for help Bro.
Old 7th February 2018, 01:05 AM   #24
cowboy99 is offline cowboy99  United States
diyAudio Member

Default NEC Code videos

USA Only
I've got the same situation in a early US '60's built house and have put quite a lot of research into possible solutions. Anything short of proper US NEC code is not suggested. Especially a ground to a water pipe which in the chance one could lose a mains neutral in that circuit the ground wire to water pipe could (and likely would) become energized as the current return path. Not Cool !
Suggest you view these great NEC Code videos by Mike Holt. Especially the portion about the "myths of grounding"
Your choices are 1) to install a GFCI receptacle and label it as "GFCI protected, no equipment ground"
(which really doesn't give you want you want)
or 2) Run a green grounding wire all the way back to main breaker box's grounding strip. This is against some local electrical codes.
Addition of extra grounding rod(s) is defiantly not advised. All grounds should terminate at a common location; the main breaker box's grounding strip.
View these videos to see why.
Do not simple take mine or anyone else's advise. Learn, use and trust the NEC code only.
Charles

NEC:Grounding Safety Fundamentals
YouTube

Subjects that are included in above video:
Grounding Myths (Most people don't understand 'grounding')
YouTube

2014 NEC - Grounding Electrode System (Ground Rod Foolishness)
YouTube

Receptacle Replacement Without Ground Wire, NEC 2011
YouTube
Old 7th February 2018, 04:22 PM   #25
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Is this thread talking about safety or sound? They are two quite different things and it is unfortunate that both can be called 'grounding'.
Old 7th February 2018, 04:56 PM   #26
forr is offline forr  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Is this thread talking about safety or sound? They are two quite different things and it is unfortunate that both can be called 'grounding'.
It's better to refer to safety earth as it is closer to what it looks like in reality than safety ground. A metallic pole deeply planted in humid earth makes a safety earth.
Old 7th February 2018, 06:55 PM   #27
Speedskater is offline Speedskater  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forr View Post
It's better to refer to safety earth as it is closer to what it looks like in reality than safety ground. A metallic pole deeply planted in humid earth makes a safety earth.
That won't be correct in US terminology.
The Safety Ground (aka Protective Earth) connects to the Neutral at the building's main breaker panel. It's main purpose is to trip the circuit breaker in the event of a ground fault to the unit's chassis (short circuit).
The connection to Planet Earth is thru another system and it is for safety during thunderstorms and other high voltage failures.
Old 8th February 2018, 09:50 AM   #28
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

What is called 'earth' or 'ground' varies from one country to another. In some cases they can mean exactly the same thing.

I am still unclear whether we are talking about sound or safety. It could be, of course, that the OP thinks that the Earth is some sort of magic sink for all unwanted signals. If I had a house with no Safety Ground (or whatever they call it in your country) then I would be more concerned about staying alive than listening to music.
Old 8th February 2018, 05:03 PM   #29
cowboy99 is offline cowboy99  United States
diyAudio Member

It must seem that all US standards are 'oddball' to others. 'Earth' ground is not a current path, (electrons don't flow into the earth), the neutral wire is the 'current return path' that the current flows back to it's generation source. (electrons seek to return path to their source). That is the reality of it.
Sounds confusing, but not more than most discussions of ground, 'grounding'... much less 'equipotential bonding' confused ... best stop there.

An experiment... (I lost money on) helped me get my head around this.
Take a 15A or even 30 Amp line from the main breaker panel and clamp it to the end of copper rod driven 8' (2.6m) into the 'Earth'.
But before you do, Make Your Bet: Will that HV short to 'earth' throw(blow) the beaker(fuse) that connects it to mains power ???

It will NOT !
You might be able to weld with it or light your last cigar. But it will not trip it's panel breaker.
Old 8th February 2018, 05:57 PM   #30
Zeta4 is offline Zeta4  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

According to Wikipedia (where would we be without it) most countries Earthing Systems
conform to IEC60364 with minor variations. This specifies various earthing arrangements
(TN-S, TN-C-S, TT etc) with pros's and cons of each. All seem to start with a connection
to earth at the generator end with the protective earth connected to this in various ways.
The Wikipedia article is worth a read for those interested.

Home with NO Ground in Electrical InstallationHide this!Advertise here!