Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Making your own lightning arrestor.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th October 2017, 03:37 AM   #1
VenusFly is online now VenusFly  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Making your own lightning arrestor.

Considering that lightning season is upon us here in Australia I've decided to make my own lightning arrestor using expresspcb and some copper pcbs using the toner transfer method and an online project:
Lightning/Surge Protector Circuit Using Gas Discharge Tube (GDT)

Was wondering if there is anyway that I can improve the circuit to make it stronger and last longer or if its good enough as it is. I thought that the S20K250 MOV was rated a bit low? Any thoughts?

This circuit is designed for a 240v mains.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lighting-Protector-Circuit.jpg (48.7 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by VenusFly; 27th October 2017 at 03:39 AM.
Old 27th October 2017, 04:42 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Found a better circuit with better protection:
A circuit simplification for AC power supply surge protection devices | EDN
Old 27th October 2017, 06:02 AM   #3
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

You are on a 240v system, right? The improved circuit you linked was for 120v systems in the USA. In our system we have neutral and hot. The neutral is bonded to earth in the service panel at the building power entry. So unless there is a fault, neutral is essentially ground. That is why they got away with a MOV across and only a spark-gap to earth.

If I am not mistaken, your 240v system has neither leg tied to earth. So two hots. Yes? So you need not only the MOV across, but I would think still protection to ground from each leg.
Old 27th October 2017, 06:24 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
You are on a 240v system, right? The improved circuit you linked was for 120v systems in the USA. In our system we have neutral and hot. The neutral is bonded to earth in the service panel at the building power entry. So unless there is a fault, neutral is essentially ground. That is why they got away with a MOV across and only a spark-gap to earth.

If I am not mistaken, your 240v system has neither leg tied to earth. So two hots. Yes? So you need not only the MOV across, but I would think still protection to ground from each leg.
Right. I'm in 240v land.

I'm considering copying this design and using 250v rated components from the first schematic (GDT UZ470B & S20K250) that I posted in the first post. Let me know if there is any issues with doing this.

If anyone has a better circuit then please post it here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ac_power_supply_surge_protection_fig2.jpg (41.6 KB, 124 views)

Last edited by VenusFly; 27th October 2017 at 06:49 AM.
Old 27th October 2017, 06:34 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I think in Australia that the neutral is bonded to earth but I'm not entirely sure. I do know that the mesh framework of a house is grounded. Its not that easy finding things online for 240v countries when everything is biased towards US systems.

Last edited by VenusFly; 27th October 2017 at 06:58 AM.
Old 27th October 2017, 07:00 AM   #6
TNT is online now TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I think you use the word "think" to often to mess around in this filed. Go to your outlet shop and make a purchase.

//
Old 27th October 2017, 07:08 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Australian and New Zealand standards use a modified PME earthing system called Multiple Earthed Neutral (MEN). The neutral is grounded(earthed) at each consumer service point thereby effectively bringing the neutral potential difference to zero along the whole length of LV lines
Earthing system - Wikipedia

Also: What is Multiple Earthed Neutral? - Electrical Engineering Access

Last edited by VenusFly; 27th October 2017 at 07:12 AM.
Old 27th October 2017, 07:09 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
I think you use the word "think" to often to mess around in this filed. Go to your outlet shop and make a purchase.

//
And how am I supposed to know if its not just some cheap and nasty MOV-only surge protector? Open it up and then return it huh?

Maybe your right, then again once I learn this I can build it and know that the quality is good. But everywhere I look even online there is nothing but **** quality surge protectors.

There was a mains filtering circuit published in a silicon chip magazine in the 90s but I don't think it has much in the way of protection. I'll go and dig it out of storage.

Last edited by VenusFly; 27th October 2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old 27th October 2017, 07:18 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

This isn't the one that I mentioned in a previous post but it sure does seem promising (its not a surge protector, it has one VDR.):
Silicon Chip Online - 240V Mains Filter For Hifi Systems

Last edited by VenusFly; 27th October 2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 27th October 2017, 07:27 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I'm going to get royally screwed buying expensive surge protectors only to find out that they don't have GDT in them. Anyone know if APC surge protectors have GDT's?

APC SurgeArrest Surge Protector - High Quality | eBay

Making your own lightning arrestor.Hide this!Advertise here!