Bread machine

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What could be nicer than home-baked bread while listening to your favourite music?
Brought bread machine back into use after being stored in loft for a few years. Worked fine before storage, now it burns the loaves.
Any ideas? Temp sensing is a thermistor & controlled by microprocessor.
From what I've read, thermistors are reliable, not subject to failure?

I wouldn't have thought so.
It is clamped to the outside of the oven area and though I have not removed it, what you can see looks clean. It was in dry storage.
I'll take it off to see this weekend - nothing to lose, the machine is useless (unless I stand over it to take loaf out 20 minutes early). If I can identify the part and it's cheap enough I could try a replacement. Not worth spending a lot - bread's cheap.

Had a look at part. It seems to be a 100K axial glass thermistor.
Commonplace enough but B values vary between makes.
Seems the 3D printer enthusiasts replace them as a matter of course but they have the ability to re-program the micro to accept different temp/resistance curves. I cannot reprogram the bread machine.
However, at baking temp resistance should be ballpark 5k @ 110deg, 4k @ 120deg & 3k @ 130deg. So adding 1k in series will reduce baking temp by 10 deg while having negligible effect on warm-up temp during the rise time. What I need is an oven thermometer so I don't waste more ingredients.

Got oven thermometer.
Manual gives baking temp of 120deg.
Measured ~130deg while baking with a working machine.
Thermometer was near top of oven so might expect a slightly high reading.

Measured ~190deg with faulty machine (trial run with no ingredients).
Adding series resistance to thermistor brought temperature down.
However, everything I read on the web suggests thermistors are astonishingly stable so I am puzzled.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.