Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Another big opamp listening test
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Which of the files you prefer by listening?
aa 6 22.22%
bb 13 48.15%
cc 8 29.63%
dd 7 25.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th June 2017, 09:49 AM   #11
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

I still would like to gain something positive and believe I will . So everyone is welcomed to make the test and vote.
Old 4th June 2017, 01:02 PM   #12
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

I've given these files three good listens both last night and today. There are a lot of audible cues (or clues that could be a decider ) but in practice differentiating one file from another subjectively is proving extremely difficult.
Old 4th June 2017, 01:08 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Good to hear from you Karl, thank you!
Old 5th June 2017, 07:00 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

To encourage more testers, I would add a small test description.

4 different opamps are tested, wired as non-inverting unity gain buffers. The circuit is built on a standard double-sided FR4 PCB and it is used as a line stage in my AB box testing equipment. Blue Alps potentiometers are followed with these unity gain buffers. The whole thing is inside well shielded Al box with 3mm bottom and cover plates. Opamps are in sockets so they can be easily interchanged. Complex set of measurements was done to prove there are no additional disturbing noises or oscillations in the circuit.

All the tested opamps have had exactly same conditions and there is no "cheating".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AB_box.JPG (95.4 KB, 500 views)
File Type: jpg opamptestbox.JPG (63.1 KB, 493 views)

Last edited by PMA; 5th June 2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old 5th June 2017, 08:02 AM   #15
silverprout is offline silverprout  France
diyAudio Member

Sorry i can't answer, my brain is biased by the posts 6 and 7

PS : it should be pehaps interesting to hide some information in these posts.
Old 5th June 2017, 08:25 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverprout View Post
Sorry i can't answer, my brain is biased by the posts 6 and 7

PS : it should be pehaps interesting to hide some information in these posts.
I understand, but I have no chance to hide the posts. Maybe just try to ignore it, and though I should not comment, I can tell you that the guess of the type was wrong, it was just a guess.
Old 5th June 2017, 09:04 AM   #17
Markw4 is online now Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
To encourage more testers, I would add a small test description.

4 different opamps are tested, wired as non-inverting unity gain buffers. The circuit is built on a standard double-sided FR4 PCB and it is used as a line stage in my AB box testing equipment. Blue Alps potentiometers are followed with these unity gain buffers. The whole thing is inside well shielded Al box with 3mm bottom and cover plates. Opamps are in sockets so they can be easily interchanged. Complex set of measurements was done to prove there are no additional disturbing noises or oscillations in the circuit.

All the tested opamps have had exactly same conditions and there is no "cheating".
Okay, but what data converters are being used? And what is the starting resolution of the source material? There is more to what is being listened to than the opamps alone. Although the other factors might be the same for every opamp, they still could affect listener perceptions.

Therefore, I would be in favor of posting (1)the original sound file, and (2)the original sound file passing through the data converters only, and not passing through any test opamps.
Old 5th June 2017, 09:25 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
Okay, but what data converters are being used? And what is the starting resolution of the source material? There is more to what is being listened to than the opamps alone. Although the other factors might be the same for every opamp, they still could affect listener perceptions.

Therefore, I would be in favor of posting (1)the original sound file, and (2)the original sound file passing through the data converters only, and not passing through any test opamps.
Hello Mark,

thank you for your comments, I appreciate them, however I assume it would be counterproductive if I answered. The poll is valid until June 16 and then we may disclose more. Your questions are and the discussion might be quite complex (and maybe might open new biases as well).

What I found in my previous tests is the fact that the files must be bullet-proof regarding consistency of test conditions and time and amplitude matching. Once the files are in public, they are usually analyzed as data rather then only listened. I can only disclose that I made no manipulation in the digital domain with the files, except for throwing away the samples at the beginning and at the end to get exactly same length and starting sample of all the files.

All I wanted to say in my previous post is that I am not trying to cheat the participants, in this particular test.
Old 5th June 2017, 09:27 AM   #19
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

The source material is interesting... as I mentioned in my first post, a lot of audible 'clues' buried deep down in there.

I don't know how much Pavel wants this to turn into a discussion, or whether its preferred to just listen and tick the box, with discussion later
Old 5th June 2017, 10:32 AM   #20
silverprout is offline silverprout  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
I understand, but I have no chance to hide the posts. Maybe just try to ignore it, and though I should not comment, I can tell you that the guess of the type was wrong, it was just a guess.
My heart is ok to ignore it, but my brain still consider it

List of culprits :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases

Main suspect involved in the posts 6 and 7.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Another big opamp listening testHide this!Advertise here!