Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Record PTT audio in a Smartphone
Record PTT audio in a Smartphone
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2017, 07:09 PM   #1
tobe81cwb is offline tobe81cwb
diyAudio Member

Default Record PTT audio in a Smartphone

I have some radios with racing headsets from Motorola (EP450s)

Click the image to open in full size.

What I'm trying to do is record the audio from the transmission in a portable way (a portable recorder or a smartphone - Android).

Looking for the pinouts, I discovered that pinout of radio is:
(I confirmed using applying a small voltage between gnd and speaker pin and listen a low noise on headphone).

Then, looking for the pinout for Android Smartphone, I find this:

So, I made a directly connection between GND from headset to GND to Smartphone, and Speaker Pin from headset to Microphone Pin on Smartphone. (others pin i leave disconnected on smartphone).

Then, when I connect to the smartphone, the things gone a bit crazy.
I tried 'OMTP' and 'AHJ' connector mode, with no good results.

Sometimes, the audio is very low, even the radio is on max volume, and most of times, no audio, and cellphone become a little crazy.
Everytime somebody talk on radio, my android phone (OnePlus 3) go back to the home screen, and open the 'Ok Google' screen (like if i'm using a headphone with mic, and press the button).

PS: Looking at the Android device external mic wiring |, I tried to put a resistor of 10k between GND and Mic Input, with no success.

Any help?
Old 4th February 2017, 10:50 PM   #2
tobe81cwb is offline tobe81cwb
diyAudio Member

Resolved!

I used the AHJ Connector interface, and a potentiometer between mic pin (on smartphone) and speaker (on radio), and while I speak, I was changing the pot. When the pot has about 28k~30k, the captured audio was clear and recorded perfectly.

Record PTT audio in a SmartphoneHide this!Advertise here!