music archive, 100 year method

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Its sort of an experiment, the 500Gb drive came from my macbook. I had not booted it in many years : 5 to 8 .
Since it came up no problem i thought it was a good test subject.

Will do the same using two 256Gb USB flash. They have been buried in parafin previously and powered up no problem after retrieval.

My goal is to have three caches going, eventually abandoning older sites without retrieving.
The flash is still expensive so will probably retrieve three years or so.

My wife said not to tell anyone I bury data backups , that I would be perceived as a wackjob.

I have dig up the 500gb.
It mounted correctly and has now been reformatted to store mp3 with NTFS.

There was water intrusion into a pin hole in paraffin but not into the inner wrapper of hd.
Probably in 6mo to a year the water would have reached hd.

So have to rethink waterproofing.

Pics attached.

-

Attachments

• WP_20180816_10_18_18_Pro (2).jpg
    WP_20180816_10_18_18_Pro (2).jpg
    810.4 KB · Views: 118
  • WP_20180816_09_46_08_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180816_09_46_08_Pro.jpg
    681.3 KB · Views: 122
  • WP_20180816_09_59_44_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180816_09_59_44_Pro.jpg
    651.9 KB · Views: 120
  • WP_20180816_10_06_47_Pro (2).jpg
    WP_20180816_10_06_47_Pro (2).jpg
    940.4 KB · Views: 122
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Wow. Kinda surprising that you had water get that close with all the trouble you went to. How long do you think the drive would last if kept dry?

I would love to digital archives of my photos, mail, music and other odds and end from 30 or 50 years ago. I don't even have the hard copies of most of that stuff anymore.

I think 5 years minimum and max is unknown. The bearing grease may flow out has been suggested. But warming up for a few days 180 out of buried position probably would fix. Then there is the flash on hd...

I did just power up a flash 256GB has been unpowered three years, no problem.

A long term solution probably is more complex using a lithium battery to power-up every three months using low power mcu.
Or visit the storage site and have a cable easily accessible to power up few seconds.

The low viscosity Si adhesive is good for this but we don't have access to the industrial/aerospace non out-gassing type.

-

Saw 256Gb SD for under $50 today.
Bout six years ago I did a low power project that had a SD with Fat file system, TI low power processor etc. (mIcrochip eclipsed TI with the xlp family so using even that technology 25 year is possible.
Google search today too shows more advances in long term power thanks to the utility meter industry.
I would write a spec but basically wake up every few months and do a disk check then go back to sleep.
40 year operation on the horizon now.
Here is just one link.
https://tadiranbatteries.de/pdf/applications/battery-concepts-for-smart-utility-meters.pdf

Update here:
Dot not use glycerin.
For some reason, impurities maybe causes the thumb drive to fail.
I'm trying some 1tb micro SD cards.
Flash looks like price is tanking again.
I ordered a two pack of 1tb for $25.
Also trying some micro containers.

I can archive both m4a and mp3 with these cards.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20190415_0005 (2).png
    wp_ss_20190415_0005 (2).png
    349.3 KB · Views: 97
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Update here:
Dot not use glycerin.
For some reason, impurities maybe causes the thumb drive to fail.
I'm trying some 1tb micro SD cards.
Flash looks like price is tanking again.
I ordered a two pack of 1tb for $25.
Also trying some micro containers.

I can archive both m4a and mp3 with these cards.
1TB SD cards at that price are fakes. At first you should read back 1TB of stored data before trusting them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.