new memory for PC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I ordered new memory for my slow PC since it was regularly using more than 50% with the 4GB currently fitted.

The two 8GB dimm cards arrived this afternoon.

Do I power down
remove the two old cards
insert one new card
power ON?

Is that all, or do I need to tell the PC that I have changed something?

The CPU Z report is attached.
The new memory is a bit faster:
8GB 1GX64 DDR3 1600 UDIMM 240-pin 1.5V

Attachments

• E57004GBsummary.txt
    4.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
I think this 2year old allows upto 32GB, if I use the 64 win7
My new motherboard and the second card will get fitted to my even older PC.
Although I may use the two 2GB in one PC and use the two 8GB in newest motherboard.

This is from the CPU Z report
DMI Physical Memory Array
location Motherboard
usage System Memory
correction None
max capacity 16384 MBytes
max# of devices 2
does this mean max memory is 16GB in one or two cards
Or is it two cards each with 16GB of memory?

Last edited:
Also remove power cord from PS!!!
Oh ! Will do.
You can also change cpu - for Intel Q8400 or Q9500 or Q6600. You will have quad core procesing.
I'll leave the CPU as is.
The new motherboard will become my main win7 PC.
This older one will become my XP PC and my laptop currently WIN8, may become WIN10.

If I knew Networking, I would have the upstairs workshop PC linked to the main PC and the laptop, so that they can all talk to each other. But I don't, so they don't know each other exists.

Last edited:
If you can switch the power off at the wall leave it plugged in so the computer case it grounded, then keep one hand on the case as you remove the memory from its packaging and install it so you minimize the risk of zapping anything with static.

It is important to remove power though as mainboards always have 5v standby power running though them. Turn off the mains power, and hit the power switch on the computer to fully drain the power supply caps.

If you can switch the power off at the wall leave it plugged in so the computer case it grounded, then keep one hand on the case as you remove the memory from its packaging and install it so you minimize the risk of zapping anything with static.

It is important to remove power though as mainboards always have 5v standby power running though them. Turn off the mains power, and hit the power switch on the computer to fully drain the power supply caps.

Good advice.

I knew I know next to nothing about modern computers.
It's so complicated !

Much less complicated than analog electronics design.

Newer MB's (like my AMD ASUS) are idiot proof.

-Sata has no "master/slave".
-UEFI new bios detects anything (that fits).
-clock/memory speeds are SPD detected and controlled
NO jumpers like old year 2K motherboards.
-DDR2 won't fit DDR3 slots , DDR4 also has different key notch.
-power supply main ,12V aux , sata ... all connectors are keyed
and non- interchangeable ... no way to make magic smoke !
- PCI (old) and the newer PCI-E are universal and backward compatable.
I just fitted my 1X pci-e ASUS soundcard in a full length 8X PCI-e slot.

Electrically , no way to fail without a hammer !! :D

What is becoming more B$ (complicated) .... is the software.

If you can combine the FAR more advanced , reliable 2010+ hardware
and keep the "bloat" and constant updating of modern crapware
under control - you are good.

2008 the software was ahead of the hardware .... 2010-2015 has
been the best carefree PC experience I ever had.

OS

You need to know next to nothing to get the PCs sharing. XP was simple, Win 7 64 bit is nearly as simple. My system has the router connected to a 16 port gigabit switch with 4 wired PCs, a wifi laptop (via the router) 2 Ceton extenders (for TV from the TV PC) and the printer/fax/scanner. Each PC found the printer with no driver disc needed. The folders I want to share between machines are simply marked as shared and I set them for full access meaning I can send files and delete them on other PCs. BEWARE that deleting a file on another PC does NOT put it in the recycle bin. It's _gone_ but I only did that once in about 10 years. File transfers typically run 80-110 MBytes/second so a 4GB file takes about 40-60 seconds to move. Yes I do that all the time recording HD TV on 3 machines with a total of 12 tuners, 6 OTA and 6 cable and generate about 150GB of TV per week. The 4 wired machines total 25 TB with another 20 TB of USB drives.

You need to know next to nothing to get the PCs sharing. XP was simple, Win 7 64 bit is nearly as simple. My system has the router connected to a 16 port gigabit switch with 4 wired PCs, a wifi laptop (via the router) 2 Ceton extenders (for TV from the TV PC) and the printer/fax/scanner. Each PC found the printer with no driver disc needed. The folders I want to share between machines are simply marked as shared and I set them for full access meaning I can send files and delete them on other PCs. BEWARE that deleting a file on another PC does NOT put it in the recycle bin. It's _gone_ but I only did that once in about 10 years. File transfers typically run 80-110 MBytes/second so a 4GB file takes about 40-60 seconds to move. Yes I do that all the time recording HD TV on 3 machines with a total of 12 tuners, 6 OTA and 6 cable and generate about 150GB of TV per week. The 4 wired machines total 25 TB with another 20 TB of USB drives.

If I ever go networked I will start a new networking Help Thread.
The knowledge bank is here.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
DIMM slots are typically placed adjacent to each other, later motherboards have a gap between banks and/or use colours showing where it might be useful using two modules. There doesn't seem to be much of a standard, the datasheet might cover it.

16GB is a fair chunk. Much of it would be there doing things not directly relevant to your current problem though IMHO. Best to try it and see.

Last edited:
switched off
removed the two 2GB memory cards
inserted one 8GB memory card into the slot nearer the CPU.
start up.
Did not start.
switched off
moved the 8GB memory card to the slot farther from the CPU.
did not start.
removed the 8GB
and inserted one 2GB memory card in the slot nearer the CPU.

The PC started.

memory used is ~ 75% to 90%

loaded firefox
looked at a site explaining PID. scroll wheel not working or VERY slow to respond and typed in diyaudio.com
started to go to site but "firefox not responding".
The HDD light was on continuously.

Is this memory being moved to HDD to allow other apps to run?
Could this be why I sometimes see the HHD light on?

Why did the PC not start with the faster 8GB card?

Just noticed that while I was typing that last post that memory has gone down to 1.00GB and is holding steady at 49% to 51% while posting and looking at How to uninstall AVG.

Does this indicate that lot's of apps in memory have been moved to HDD and the PC is working with a minimum to allow currently used apps to work quickly?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.