Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Low Level Detail: An experimental search and test.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2018, 05:13 PM   #71
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yes. See earlier in this thread.
Old 16th September 2018, 05:33 PM   #72
DonVK is offline DonVK  Canada
diyAudio Member

A very interesting topic.

I have noticed a fading detail effect. When a single driver gets increased lower frequency power (and movement) it appears to diminish the detail of the higher + lower amplitude frequencies. It looks like superposition problem. I was never sure if it was me or the driver.

Would the level of detail the driver is capable of be indicated by it's HD (THD or even harmonics ) ?
Old 16th September 2018, 08:57 PM   #73
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
The main stumbles I found were getting the files lined up at the correct staring point and also getting them level matched.
Hey Pano,

A lot of that can be sorted within the desk - move the recording slider back to the start, press "track" on the pink noise and "record" on the mic input, and I'll be able to subject the speaker to the same section(s) of pink noise as many times as I like, with other things mixed in as needed.

In theory, that'd get everything to work perfectly.

In practice, I expect the increased noise levels present in the difference file to swamp any changes in the distortion from driving the speaker with other signals.
We'll see.

I suppose this'd be a good way to test amplifiers, too.

Chris
Old 16th September 2018, 09:27 PM   #74
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It certainly would be easier with power amps and line level circuits. I had pretty good success with line level signals.

You could compare two circuits to find if one "preserves" low level detail better than another.

Low Level Detail: An experimental search and test.Hide this!Advertise here!