Digitalized music causing stress??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im undesided and have little tecnical knowledge about "digitalyzed" music. Still we must remember that heroin,opiom,azid and so on, were very much around even before recording was invented
Nope.
Not "much around".
This is a key word.
Look at your TV (cable, sat TV) and ask yourself how much you have heard about heroin before a year 1981 - start of CD audio.
The answer - not much, almost nothing.
In addition, please ask yourself about heroin before a year 1955 - start of High Frequency biased (read - sampled, but not quantified) tape recording (by, again, Sony).
Ask about heroin now - the answer will be "everywhere".
Ask Elizabeth Cohen from AES (Audio Engineering Society) about it?
betzcohen-headshot_med_hr.jpeg

I notice planted tones and sounds sometimes on the television. Probably because I don't own one and aren't yet numbed to it. All you gotta know is that YOU and YOUR mind and actions are big business. Everything that can be used to get you to buy or do or consume something will be found and used.

I was young once and I enjoyed the usual crap music, too loud, distorted, crappy radio reception from pirate stations etc. etc. And usually our parents thought the music was crap. They would surely have been stressed if forced to listen to it!
We get 'educated' by our experience and as we grow older we might appreciate what us older folk believe is better quality music.
I am not convinced 'digital' is the cause of this.

I was young once and I enjoyed the usual crap music, too loud, distorted, crappy radio reception from pirate stations etc. etc. And usually our parents thought the music was crap. They would surely have been stressed if forced to listen to it!
We get 'educated' by our experience and as we grow older we might appreciate what us older folk believe is better quality music.
I am not convinced 'digital' is the cause of this.
This is "see no evil" position.
Ok. Pretend You are right - for one minute.
Where is at least one Pink Floyd's grade modern rock/rap group? (And there were Floyds, Deep Purple, Led Z, Nazareth, etc. etc. etc. groups to name a few).
Where is ABBA's (Michael Tretow) sound modern groups?
Where is Boney-M's grade vocal polyphonic sound of modern groups?
And I am not even talking about Ben Webster's jazz sound or Lee Morgan's jazz drive.

They are absolute unreacheable Everests to modern music sound.

Even the soviet-era Felix Slovachek's saxofon discs easily cover all modern european music at 10x magnitude.
Imagine that soviet-age czech music (I do not like socializm, highly, very highly) is better than all modern europe music (??!!).
Have you seen the last "Spice Girls" live performance recently? It is a total shame to modern sound engineering. Say thanks to AES for this degradation.
This is a clear degradation from 30 years back, started from 1981 - from CD digital audio.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its even worse. Did you notice that the latest jump in heroin and crack use coincided with the increase in electric cars? Clearly, people were missing the addictive gasoline and diesel fumes and compensated by going to crack etc.

And I cannot proof it but am convinced that the decline in vinyl also contributed. After all, vinyl is just a bunch of carbohydrates like gasoline and diesel in another composition! It's all so obvious if you only want to see it!

Jan

Last edited:
And if you think it only effects people, how about dogs with their superior hearing??
Doggism is another madness in modern "western world".
The border between crappy digital sound of "modern music" and sound of barking dog is blurred now for most people. Barking is music for doggists.

Question: How many BIG movies are there about the composer Beethoven?
Answer: 3 (three).
Q: How many movies are there about dog "Beethoven"?
A: 8 (eight).

Do you really think this is normal for a normal society?

It is certainly normal to have a few conspiracy theorists making exaggerated claims of cause and effect (among other things). The more intelligent of them of are good at thinking up long lists of reasons why they are right, even when they are wrong.
"12 crazy conspiracy theories that actually turned out to be true"
12 crazy conspiracy theories that actually turned out to be true | Reader's Digest

"Conspiracy: For decades, tobacco companies buried evidence that smoking is deadly.

The truth: At the beginning of the 1950s, research was showing an indisputable statistical link between smoking and lung cancer, but it wasn't until the late 1990s that Philip Morris even admitted that smoking could cause cancer.

The benefits of quitting smoking are huge: food tastes better, your mouth feels fresher and, most importantly, your risk of tobacco-related disease drops significantly."
Update: also:
25 Conspiracy Theories That Turned Out to Be True | Best Life

Long ago The Audio Armature besides having regular articles often published letters from readers. Some time between 1972 and 1978 one of the readers a psychiatrist said he had done a few informal studies that showed these new digitaly mastered recordings did make peoples blood pressure rise . But this was only a very short informal comment so I doubt it would be listed in any directory

From Diamond buffers to Dr. Diamond :)

Does anybody know anything about this guy and the DBTs he
claims to have performed and the demonstrations he has made
at AES?
404 Error - Page Not Found

Maybe he is serious, maybe not. In either case, he is obvously
trying to sell a product to "cure" the "digital fatigue", but what is
it? A pill? An electronic gadget? A turntable (well, for $25, probably
not)? I couldn't find anything about what the product actually is.

i used to follow all the sckepitcal stuff on another dandie forum, so let me guess:

He [it's always a geeky he] has a moderate background and somewhat knows what he's talking about. He's found some technical/theoretical mechanism that COULD do what he's saying but hasn't actually shown it in any scientifically vigorous sense [like all his peers and colleagues keep pestering him to do].

Instead, he's gone ahead and assumed that the effect exists and further, and more importantly, he and only he can manipulate it. All you have to do is "buy in"; doesn't have to be monetary, can be fan-clubish; technical discussion; attention; ...

Then, he substitutes showing that the mechanisms are truely there and respond as outlined, with elaborately developing un-needed technology that so conveniently fills some high-end niche market ...

yawn ...

:rolleyes: nothin' ever changes ...

...amiright?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.